Forum

300 Miles

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

300 Miles

Postby RAAMrider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Steve-Born,

I'm looking for some advice about nutrition. I ride a couple times a week for 2 hours and then 6 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday. I am looking to swap over to Hammer Products to see if they increase my performance. I currently use 2 bottles of Cytomax, 2 Medium Bananas, and 1 Cliff Bar for every 50 miles, and it's worked up to 200 Miles.

This is working so part of me says, if it works, don't mess with it, but I want to see if I can do better. I've just purchaced Heed, Sustained Energy, and the Endurolytes. Will the LITTLE RED BOOK tell me everything or can you share some insight.

I did RAAM in 2005 as part of an 8 Man Team and I'm training for a 2 Man in 2013 when I'm 50. I'm 47, weigh 165 lbs, 5'8", mostly muscle and would say about 7 to 8% body fat.

Can you tell me how much and which products I should use for a 300 miles ride on 6/26 that will take me right at 18 hours to complete based on the last two 200 milers that I've done.

John Cox
RAAMrider

Re: 300 Miles

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello John -

The first thing I would do - and it sounds like you have - is nix all the products that contain simple sugars (anything that ends in "ose"). We explain why in the article "Proper Caloric Intake During Endurance Exercise" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1275.html).

If I were doing this event using Sustained Energy, that would be my primary fuel, covering 2/3 - 3/4 of my energy requirements. To cover my caloric requirements for the majority of the rest of the time I would use HEED or Hammer Gel (or both, if desired... I personally am a Hammer Gel guy because I like to drink plain water for maintaining hydration). Additionally, I would have a banana on occasion (no problem using whole fruits such as that), and I would use Endurolytes every hour.

I find that consuming too much solid food only slows me down because the body's working harder just to break down and digest the solid food. In fact, I've noticed that in ultra events the athletes who really too heavily on solid food can feel lethargic, even sleepy.

That's why, uninviting as it may sound, going all-liquid for most-to-all of a ride of this duration is still the best route to go, in my opinion. That's not to say that you can't have solid food on occasion. Just use it sparingly, almost as a reward of sorts, and make wise choices (low-to-no refined sugar or saturated fats, and minimal amounts of fiber).

Two other supplements that I highly recommend taking hourly would be Anti-Fatigue Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ps.af.html) and Endurance Amino (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... no.ea.html). In an article I wrote, I discuss the rationale for taking these two products in tandem:

Endurance Amino + Anti-Fatigue Caps = Unbeatable endurance-enhancing combination

By taking Endurance Amino prior to and hourly during prolonged bouts of exercise, you provide the body with the primary "used-in-the-energy-cycle" amino acids (the BCAA – l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine). The BCAA in Endurance Amino, along with the BCAA that naturally occur in the soy protein component in Sustained Energy and Perpetuem, help prevent the muscle tissue from being broken down to satisfy the 5% - 15% of the body's energy requirements during extended exercise. The result is less fatigue-causing ammonia to accumulate and less muscle tissue that will be broken down and needing to be repaired during the recovery process.

By taking Anti-Fatigue Caps prior to and hourly during prolonged bouts of exercise, you supply the body with potassium/magnesium aspartate, l-citrulline, and OKG, all of which help to neutralize the negative effects of fatigue-causing excess ammonia accumulation.

The result: A uniquely powerful "one-two punch” to help prevent fatigue and extend endurance!

--- END ---

If you really wanted to go all out with what I consider the ultimate supplement program, check out my suggestions in the article "Epic Workout/Race Supplement Suggestions" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... 14741.html).

The dosages suggested in the Product Usage Manual (a.k.a. "The Little Red Book") are very appropriate for all of the supplements and fuels. Just remember that we're all "experiments of one," which means that you need to test these dosages in your training, fine-tuning them to meet your individual needs.

I hope this helps!

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: 300 Miles

Postby RAAMrider » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks a lot Steve, I will definitely give this a shot and I looked and your EPIC Ride advice and I will try that on the 300 miles. My order will arrive early next week so I won't be able to train and find out but I've tried bits and pieces before and I can always find bananas if I need them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

John Cox
RAAMrider

Return to Endurance Forum