Forum

Proper Timing for PIC Supplementation

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Proper Timing for PIC Supplementation

Postby samuelnaney » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

I've been splitting my 7 capsule/day dose of Premium Insurance Caps between morning and evening. I'll take 4 in the morning with breakfast, before my first workout. Then I'll take 3 more capsules right before I go to bed. When I wake up the next morning my urine has that rave-club neon glow to it; I'm wondering whether I'm missing the benefits of the evening dose - are they just getting filtered directly into my bladder and not dispersing into my system; i.e. am I just peeing out all those super-vitamins the next morning?

Sam Naney
Methow Olympic Development Nordic Racing Team
samuelnaney

Re: Proper Timing for PIC Supplementation

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Sam -

I would save your first dose for AFTER your workout, which is when your body is in a somewhat depleted state and will benefit the most from replenishment of these depleted vitamins and minerals. Additionally, I think that your body will appreciate the antioxidant support that many of the nutrients in the product provides after your workout is completed, not before.

I would also suggest that you take your second dose earlier in the day, perhaps at lunch time or later in the afternoon or, at the latest, at dinner. When metabolism slows down, which is does as the day wears on, I think that you're not getting the full value out of these nutrients, and especially so if you take them before bed. It's not that doing that is wrong; I just don't think you're getting the most bang for your buck.

So again, I'd take the first dose after your workout (ideally with Recoverite or high-quality food), and the second dose at lunch time or with a mid-afternoon snack. Taking them at dinner would be the last option, in my opinion.

The bright yellow color in the urine is primarily due to the riboflavin (vitamin B2) component in the product. Riboflavin naturally changes the pigmentation of urine, it's naturally and completely harmless. You may be losing some of these nutrients via urination but I would suggest that the amounts are minimal. And besides, even if you were "peeing out" some of the vitamins, I think it's beneficial that they go through the urinary tract and provide nutrient support for that particular area of the body.

For the most part, though, the bright yellow color you're seeing in urine is due to the riboflavin component. This is a natural effect of this particular B vitamin and it's completely harmless.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby smilani » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

Steve -

I've been reading the forum posts for quite some time, but this is the first time I've posted a question.

Regarding your reply on the proper timing for supplements - what if my dinner is immediately post-workout? During the week, my workouts have to take place between 8:30-10:00 at night. I typically eat dinner and take most of my supplements post-workout, which is right before I go to bed. Since the dosage is post-workout, is this the best timing in my case? I do take some Premium Insurance Caps and Mito Caps earlier in the day as well, to split them out. In addition to more of those at night, I take Chromemate, Phytomax, Fish Oil and Super Antioxidant. I also have a whey protein drink immediately after my workouts. Thanks for your input!

Steve Milani
smilani

Postby steve-born » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:30 am

Hello Steve -

Yes, even though your workouts are completed late at night, I would still focus the majority of your supplement intake at that time, which is when your body is in a depleted state and in need or nutrient support. As long as you're splitting the dose of your supplements so that you're getting nutrient support during the daytime, you'll be just fine.

I do need to mention that some people find that some of the nutrients in a couple of the products (Mito Caps and Race Caps Supreme come to mind first) tend to interfere with getting to sleep quickly if taken too late in the evening/night. The reason for this is not because of any kind of Central Nervous System stimulation, but simply because some of the nutrients in these products are intimately involved in the process of making energy.

In other words, when you take Race Caps Supreme and Mito Caps, they provide the body with nutrients that help it make energy more efficiently. In addition, the B vitamins in Premium Insurance Caps - of the many roles they play in the human body - are very much involved in the complex process of energy production. That's why, for a small percentage of people, taking these particular products too late at night can make them feel "energized" (for lack of a better word), which can interfere with getting to sleep as quickly and efficiently as possible. I know this is the case for me, which is why I try not to take these particular products too late in the evening.

Now, if your sleep patterns are not interfered with when taking these supplements late at night then this is all moot. If, however, you find that you're still feeling energized after taking these products prior to hitting the sack, I'd suggest taking 1-2 REM Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... s.rem.html) prior to bed. Not only will this product help you get to sleep quickly, many of the nutrients in there are superb antioxidants, which will assist you in your recovery.

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum