Forum

Vegan Recovery

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Vegan Recovery

Postby cmc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Since Recoverite is not vegan do you have a recommendation for a vegan recovery drink? I usually use chocolate soy milk or soy yogurt, or occasionally Perpetuem, if I need to something I can just add water to.

Thanks,
Cathy
cmc

Re: Vegan Recovery

Postby steve-born » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:30 am

Hello Kathy -

While soy protein does not have the same biological value (BV) as whey protein, nor does it have what I think is the ideal amino acid profile for enhancing recovery (at least compared to whey), it is quite a good alternative if you cannot consume dairy-based products.

If you want an all-in-one (carbs + protein together) recovery drink, either Sustained Energy or Perpetuem would work well. Before Recoverite came into being, I would often mix 2-3 scoops of Sustained Energy in with organic orange juice, and found that to be a pretty good recovery drink. It doesn't have what we believe is the ideal 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein, but the main thing is that you'd be getting both carbs and protein in your body after your workout, which is the most important thing

NOTE: You can add some Hammer Soy (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... n.soy.html) to your Sustained Energy/Sustained Energy + juice mix to help bump up the protein content.

If you want to have some variety in your post-workout recovery drink, you can use Hammer Soy as your protein base and then add a carbohydrate source such as organic juices or (ideally) organic frozen fruit. If you use frozen fruit (and I like the Cascadian Farms brand) you would blend it with Hammer Soy and water in a blender. Each scoop of Hammer Soy contains 25 grams of protein so depending on the duration/intensity of the workout, you'd only need 1/2 - 1 scoop of the product + 3 times that amount in carbohydrates.

If you do use Sustained Energy or a Hammer Soy + carbohydrate source as your recovery drink, I would suggest that you consume 2-4 Endurance Amino capsules (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... no.ea.html) with this post-workout drink. Endurance Amino will provide ample amounts of the three primary amino acids that are prevalent in whey protein - l-leucine, l-isoleucine, l-valine (a.k.a. the branched chain amino acids), plus the multi-beneficial tripeptide antioxidant, glutathione.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby cmc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you detailed response. I appreciate that Hammer is more responsive to and provides more information for vegans and vegetarians than most sports nutrition companies.

I forgot to add when I posted that a few weeks ago I started taking Endurance Aminos after most workouts. It's good to know that they're a good addition to soy protein for recovery. I've also been trying Endurance Aminos before bed with a little l-glutamine powder and soy, hemp, rice or pea protein.

I've never used Sustained Energy, but it would be nice to have an alternative to Perpetuem. I've thought I should try it for training and races too. During my last 24-hour race I used only Perpetuem and a small amount of Hammer Gel in the first 16 hours and seemed to have a lot of gas. I don't know if Sustained Energy might have worked better or if it was caused by something else. I also was dehydrated and had consumed less than 150 cal/hour.

-Cathy
cmc

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Cathy -

I used to use the orange flavored Perp but it did not sit well with me for some reason. I am now using the Caffe Latte Perp with no problems at all, even after using it all day. Maybe all you need to do is change flavors!

Fred
Fred

Return to Endurance Forum