Forum

Whey protein or Recoverite

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Whey protein or Recoverite

Postby Ron » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 pm

I always use recoverite after a ride (usually from 1 -3 hours). When I can't ride and I'm spinning at home I'm not sure if I should use the recoverite or the whey protein after my workout. Usually the only time I have is in the evening, a few hours before bed, and while I know it's better to work out earlier that's usually not possible.
thanks.

Ron
Ron

Re: Whey protein or Recoverite

Postby rp24hours » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Ron,

How long and how intense is your evening spinning session/workouts? If my workouts are not over two hours in length, I may make a Hammer Whey fruit smoothie instead of reaching for the Recoverite. If it is getting close to lights out, I keep the portion on the small side.

FWIW, I have a hard time sleeping after an evening workout. It takes me about two hours to wind down before I can get some restful sleep after a PM ride or a session on the trainer. That is one of the reasons I get up at 4 and do two hours on the bike before my day starts. Early Am workouts are not for everyone though. I love them because I have the roads to myself. Just me and the coyotes.

Randy
rp24hours

Re: Whey protein or Recoverite

Postby Ron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Randy. My evening workouts are usually an hour. The intensity varies but I try to keep it more at a recovery pace or I find it can interfere with my sleep as well.

My work schedule varies but on my later days I plan to start getting up earlier and getting in a short one hour ride before work. This will average out to a couple extra days a week in the dirt instead of in the house.

I think I will try the whey protein at night and see how it goes. I guess I can always throw in some fruit or a gel if I find I need the extra carbs.

Thanks again.

Ron
Ron

Return to Endurance Forum