Forum

hot weather ear problems

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

hot weather ear problems

Postby davidbogle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 am

So, this almost never happens in cooler weather, but when the Texas summer heat kicks in, and i am working out very hard for extended time periods, my ears begin to clog up. Sort of like if you have a bad head cold or changing altitude rapidly. There is not much i can do to clear it up (like swallowing or anything).

Some background:
my main sport is adventure racing. we are a competitive team so we are moving fairly fast most of the time. The main time i get this is while running or hiking up hills or mountains. It is certainly related to effort out. If its a long, but easy workout, this rarely ever happens, but if I am pushing it into the red zone for extended periods it can happen. The "red zone" is much lower when it gets hotter (especially if i am not well heat acclimated). I have heard some ultra runners get this at times, but never heard the cause or potential cures.

And it takes at least 6 hours of continuous exercise to get me into the zone where this kind of thing can happen. Adventure races can be long (days) and when it (I) cool off at night or start doing something easier like paddling or biking, it tends to go away.

any thoughts on cause or solutions?
davidbogle

Re: hot weather ear problems

Postby hpcoach » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Not sure if this is related. When I do a long century, training ride or race over 4 hours and it is extremely hot and/or the intensity of the ride is really high(such as a race or race pace century), I have an ear issue. I get the "ear pop" that you may have in an airplane. I get a real hollow, and tinny type hearing frequency. Not sure if I am explaining it properly. I think it has been due to possibly dehydration. After cooling down, hosing off and drinking Recoverite and water and resting for 30-60 minutes, things seem perfectly normal again. Maybe my ear issue is related simply to heat and dehydration.
If you are not "Hammering", you are not winning!
Paul Ozier
The Peaks Coaching Group
USA Cycling Level 2 Coach
USA Cycling Power Certified
www.peakscoachinggroup.com
hpcoach

Postby davidbogle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 am

sounds like the same thing to me... when i cool off and am done i go back to being just fine. Now, i wish i had a solution for when it is happening.

dave
davidbogle

Postby Super Soaker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I get this, too. Exercise-Induced Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - you can google that and find the explanation.
Super Soaker

Postby JimP » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Wow!!!! That just happened with me this past weekend on a relatively short (3 hour) ride in some stupid hot and humid weather ... like a heat index of around 101. I wondered what it was. Thanks!
JimP

Postby Elise » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 am

I will also chime in, this happened to me during my first 50 mile ultra in the South Dakota heat (upper nineties). It lasted for hours after I'd finished. I also had an occurrence during the start of my heat acclimization runs this summer, but very briefly, resolved within an hour. Thanks for the information!
Elise
Elise

Return to Endurance Forum