Forum

race day boost during multiday events

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

race day boost during multiday events

Postby 5happyravens » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 am

Lets say I am loading for a stage race that starts on thurs. I start taking rdb on sun. Do I stop taking it on the first race day (thurs) or continue through the event?
5happyravens

Re: race day boost during multiday events

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:44 am

Hello 5happyravens -

First, please include your name when you post on the Endurance Forum... that's how we'll know who you are!

OK, so you're doing the four-day load with Race Day Boost for your race on Thursday. Excellent! You won't need nor want to take it prior to your race on Thursday but for the races that follow, here are our suggestions:

A) Take 1 teaspoon OR 2 capsules of Race Day Boost with Recoverite as soon as possible after the race, with another 1 teaspoon serving OR 2-capsule dose of Race Day Boost with food later in the day/evening.

B) Follow this twice daily "maintenance dose" protocol after each stage.

In essence what you are doing is replenishing what you've used up during the first day's race, but without overloading your body with too much sodium phosphate. Countless athletes have followed this protocol with excellent results so I think it'll work well for you.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby 5happyravens » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks Steve! My name is Kevin Nichols. On another note, I too, cramp often and HARD. I read your reply to another athlete with the advice to include 1000-1500 mg of additional calcium and 500-700 mg of magnesium. I'll try this as well. Thanks again, Kevin
5happyravens

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:36 pm

You're very welcome for the info, Kevin. To help alleviate the cramping problems you've experienced, make sure you're taking enough Endurolytes prior to and during your workouts and races. Our typically-suggested dose is 1 capsule for every 50-60 lbs of body weight, and I think that's a good place to start, with the understanding that you can increase the dose on an as-needed basis.

As far as the additional calcium and magnesium supplementation is concerned, just make sure you're taking those amounts in divided doses. In other words, split up the doses so that you're taking 2-3 of them throughout the day, the total of which would yield 1500 mg of calcium and 750 mg of magnesium (note that if you wanted to bump up the magnesium a little more, up to 1000 mg/day, that would be acceptable in my opinion). One primary reason I mention taking these nutrients in divided doses is because if you take too much magnesium all at once you'll most likely experience a laxative effect... not pleasant!

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Steve -

With the traditional 4-day loading procedure for RBD, how long does the "boost" last during a 10-15 hour Ironman?

Fred
Fred

Postby steve-born » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:44 pm

That's a great question, Fred, and I found this email in my "Dr. Bill" email folder that I believe will sufficiently answer the question. He writes: "Race Day Boost (RDB) increases distal phosphate alkaline buffering agents, which reduce the inhibiting influence of exercise-induced acids for roughly 30-45 minutes, with some benefits to postponing fatigue beyond 3 hours duration +/- 30 minutes per individual biochemistry of each athlete."

What I gather from that is that the peak benefits of the product last for 30-45 minutes, with the postponement of fatigue effects lasting upwards of three hours or more. Of course, everyone's biochemistry is unique so, to steal a cliche, "your mileage may vary."

One thing that I really like about Perpetuem is that it contains some sodium phosphate, what I like to call a "maintenance dose" of this nutrient. What this means is that after the primary effects of your Race Day Boost have diminished, you're re-supplying the body with sodium phosphate - and continuing to enjoy its multiple benefits - via your use of Perpetuem.

I hope this provides the answer you need!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby ianspivack » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:31 pm

I have a similar question. I have two A-priority endurance races 1 week apart (Sat July 31 and Sat Aug 7). I plan on taking RDB 4x/day starting Tue July 27, ending Fri July 30th. I will not take any the morning of the race on Sat July 31st. My question is, should i start taking RDB again after the race on Sat and continue doing it for the next 6 days, or should I just start again on Tue Aug 3rd. I know that the effectiveness of RDB is not as good for the next race since I did not allow 4-6 weeks between loading cycle, but I still wanted to get some sort of benefit from RDB.
Thanks,
Ian
ianspivack

Postby steve-born » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 am

Hello Ian -

Although we do recommend at least a two week "washout period" between loading doses of RDB - and there are a couple of reasons for this recommendation, one of which you mentioned in your post - I believe it will be fine for you to do two separate loading doses for your two "A" races.

This is definitely not something I'd recommend doing on a regular or semi-regular basis but for these two specific key races I don't think there will be any issues, with the exception that you may not experience the same kind of benefits from RDB in your second race as you did in your first race.

I would not recommend that you do the RDB loading dose continuously. Instead, I suggest that you do two separate loading doses, as outlined below:

Tuesday, July 27 -- RDB
Wednesday, July 28 -- RDB
Thursday, July 29 -- RDB
Friday, July 30 -- RDB
Saturday, July 31 -- Race Day. NO RDB
Sunday, August 1 -- NO RDB
Monday, August 2 -- NO RDB
Tuesday, August 3 -- RDB
Wednesday, August 4 -- RDB
Thursday, August 5 -- RDB
Friday, August 6 -- RDB
Saturday, August 7 -- Race Day. NO RDB

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby urbecj » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Steve -

simple question ref RDB - was there a reformulation that caused a taste change?

I've been using RDB for a while, but the last batch I got I noticed a distinct shellfish-ish taste. I normally down it with warm water in a fuel belt flask or Hammer pill container.
urbecj

Postby steve-born » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:42 pm

We haven't changed the formula at all but we have changed manufacturers so that may very well be the case with your particular container of Race Day Boost.

Since my competition days have long since passed, it's been a long, long time since I've used Race Day Boost. As such, I am not 100% sure exactly how it should taste, though I would definitely surmise that it should be on the "salty + bitter" side (from the sodium phosphate component) and not have any fish-like taste.

We'd like to look into this further so we'd like to get that container returned to us. What you need to do first is to call Tony here at Hammer Nutrition (800-336-1977). He and I have just finished talking about this so he's up to speed on everything. He'll be able to arrange getting the container back to us at no charge to you and he will send you another container, also at no charge to you.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum