Forum

Recoverite Vs. Eating

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Recoverite Vs. Eating

Postby RAAMrider » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Steve,

It's been a while since I've posted a question here, mainly because I intentionally had a light year in 2013 after riding an incredible number of hours in 2012.

In preparation for 2014 I have a question that concerns my post ride strategy when training. Currently I do my long ride of the week on Saturday or Sunday which I imagine most people would. This training ride is somewhere between 8 and 10 hours long. I use Sustained Energy and Heed with various pills throughout, which we've covered in prior emails. The problem I'm having is following the advice, although I'm sure it's good, I just can't do it. I can't take Recoverite immediately following the ride and then eat within the 2 hour window. My stomach just isn't up for it, I'm not the slightest bit hungry and I don't have room since I'm refueling pretty much right up until the end.

So the bottom line is which is actually better for you if you have to choose one? Should I take the Recoverite immediately following the workout and then eat about 4 hours later like I have been, or should I omit the Recoverite and eat within the 2 hour window?

Thanks in Advance,
John
RAAMrider

Re: Recoverite Vs. Eating

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello John,

I would still recommend taking Recoverite as soon as you're comfortable doing so after your rides. Recoverite is one of the best things you can take to improve your fitness as it contains the same maltodextrin that's in the Sustained and HEED you've been using which is the most efficient form of carbohydrates for your body to convert back into stored glycogen, allowing your body to store a maximal supply of this premium fuel source. Recoverite also has whey protein isolate and glutamine which are helpful for reducing post exercise soreness, starting the rebuilding process, and supporting your immune system. You can then eat when you're hungry but remember that the sooner you eat after your ride the better it will be for continuing the glycogen replenishment process and for replenishing nutrients that were depleted during the training ride.

I hope this was helpful, please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum