Forum

Products "safe" after expiration dates?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Products "safe" after expiration dates?

Postby PowerGoat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm

So I get on a stool to clean out a cabinet and waaaay in the back behind a waffle-maker, I find three Hammer products that have passed their expiration dates. Sitting there were a half-used bottle of anti-fatigue caps (exp 1/12), a sealed bottle of Mito Caps (2/12), and a sealed container of Race Day Boost (3/12). Are any of these products still "safe" to use (perhaps at a lesser "strength" than before they "expired") or should I just toss them? Thank you.
PowerGoat

Re: Products "safe" after expiration dates?

Postby levi-hoch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey PowerGoat,

Although we can't recommend using products that have exceeded their expiration dates, you are correct that in many cases with our supplement line, the only concern would be their loss of potency. I would encourage you to consider the smell of the Mito Caps when you open them and discard them if they have a strong ammonia smell or are very dark in color (darker than you remember them being). When Mito Caps get old or get exposed to humidity or moisture they can spoil and give off a strong ammonia smell.

Similarly, Race Day Boost powder can give off an offensive smell if the glutamine in the product is exposed to moisture or humidity.

I can't recommend you use them but they're probably fine if they still look and smell like they did when new.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Re: Products "safe" after expiration dates?

Postby PowerGoat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Thank you very much for the response, Levi.
PowerGoat

Return to Endurance Forum