Forum

Carnitine/lecithin heart disease link (Cleveland Clinic)

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Carnitine/lecithin heart disease link (Cleveland Clinic)

Postby FrankXC1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

Hi,

I just read a summary of a study by the Cleveland Clinic (http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/inde ... gy_dr.html) published this week by Dr. Hazen's group linking carnitine to the production of TMAO by gut bacteria of non-vegans. TMAO has been found to be a 10x stronger predictor of heart disease than cholesterol in a previous study, which had also shown that lecithin increases TMAO production.

Both lecithin and carnitine are contained in Perpetuem, and carnosine, which shares some functionality with carnitine but is not a subject in the Cleveland study, is contained in Heed. http://www.livestrong.com/article/49375 ... carnitine/

My question is how much of these additives are in Perpetuem and Heed, as compared to, say, juicy steak, and how Hammer Nutrition is evaluating the Cleveland findings. Personally, as a regular Heed user, I might prefer a version of Heed without carnosine since it appears that the potential negative side effects may not be fully understood to outweigh any positive effects.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Frank
FrankXC1

Re: Carnitine/lecithin heart disease link (Cleveland Clinic)

Postby levi-hoch » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

Dear Frank,

Steve Born recently posted a response to this question on our Blog: L-Carnitine – Is It Good Or Bad For Your Heart? This explains our position on this situation. I hope the information thoroughly answers your questions.

L-carnitine levels in foods (per 100 grams)
Lamb – 190 mg
Beef – 94 – 145 mg
Pork – 28 mg
Poultry and Seafood – 1.6 – 6.4 mg

L-carnitine in Hammer Nutrition products
Mito Caps – 125 mg/capsule
Perpetuem – 25 mg/scoop
Perpetuem Solids – 6 mg/tablet
Sustained Energy – 16.6 mg/scoop

Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum