Forum

Hockey Related question - Recovery

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hockey Related question - Recovery

Postby MEhockey » Fri May 14, 2010 1:19 pm

High all,
I am a long time casual cyclist and hockey player and have recently been trying some of the Hammer products to try to combat a few issues (cramping on hard rides, dead legs after harder work outs, stiff joints) I am a 45 y.o. male, 145 lbs.

I have been using Recoverite recently (after riding and/or skating) and it seems to be performing as advertised. My question is related to the fact that I have a hockey tournament next week so that's one game Friday night, one Saturday 11:45 am and another on Saturday at 7:45 pm (and possible Sunday am, if we win enough games). Would a dose of recoverite be recommended right after the 1st game on Saturday? I ask since the documentation for the Whey protein (also present in Recoverite) indicated that it can cause fatigue if used prior to exercise.

Any info is greatly appreciated
John Bachman
TC, MI
MEhockey

Re: Hockey Related question - Recovery

Postby steve-born » Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello MEhockey -

First, if you would list your first name on future posts that'd be greatly appreciated... that way we know who you are!

The only time we don't recommend using Recoverite in between bouts of exercise or races is when there is less than three hours between the completion of the first and the beginning of the second. This recommendation has to do with the glutamine component in the product. Glutamine has so many benefits attached to that books have been written about this amino acid. However, it does have one small "issue" which is that it's not very stable once mixed in solution; a portion of it produces ammonia, which we believe is a primary culprit in premature fatigue. When athletes exercise they are ammonia-producing machines, especially during prolonged bouts of exercise, and when you take glutamine-enhanced fuels or glutamine supplements prior to or during exercise you're only exacerbating the problem.

Now, when exercise is completed and the muscles are no longer working, the small amount of ammonia that is initial produced by glutamine is no longer an issue, and all the benefits of this amazing amino acid can be enjoyed.

So why three hours? The reason is that, interestingly and kind of paradoxically, glutamine does eventually scavenge ammonia. The key word, however, is "eventually." When glutamine metabolizes it increases ammonia initially, but then it scavenges even more than it originally produced, taking approximately three hours for it to accomplish this. That's why, if you have a 3+ hour window between workouts or races, it's ideal use Recoverite. If it's not too much shorter than three hours, however, I would not use Recoverite. Instead, I would use HEED or Perpetuem (HEED if I only had a 60-90 minute time period between exercise sessions and Perpetuem if it's going to be more than 90 minutes)

Looking at your schedule, I would suggest taking a dose of Recoverite after Friday night's game. I would also take a dose after Saturday morning's game because you have plenty of time, substantially more than three hours, to use the product. And of course, make sure you take a dose after your Saturday night game and your Sunday morning game.

I hope this helps answer your questions but if you need more assistance please let me know.

Good luck in your games!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby MEhockey » Sat May 15, 2010 10:44 am

Steve,
Thanks for detailed reply. Next weekend will be a good test for your products. I know in the past when I have played in tournaments, my legs have felt really heavy at the end of the 1st game on Saturday and definitely Sunday morning.

Thanks again,
John
John Bachman
TC, MI
MEhockey

Postby ssrknordic » Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 am

Hi John,

Steve hit the nail on the head. Another thing you can try (that you may be doing already) is making sure you are going into the game well hydrated and with plenty of fuel in your muscles. I always tell the athletes I coach recovery begins before you step onto the ice(or field or bike). Recovery also can improved by what you take in during the competition. Hence using HEED during the game to stay hydrated will keep the muscles well fueled as well as help reduce some of the lactate produced during shifts. I have a sport training center where we train many hockey and lacrosse players. The ones that also started using HEED during their workouts and games definitely have noticed a positive improvement, so these products have great outcomes with speed/power based sports as well.

Stuart Kremzner, MS, CSCS
Operations Director
Athletic Republic NH
stuart@athleticrepublicnh.com
www.athleticrepublicnh.com
ssrknordic

Return to Endurance Forum