Forum

Tip of the Week -- Dealing with sickness

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Tip of the Week -- Dealing with sickness

Postby natellerandi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Everybody's dropping like flies this winter! It's crazy, but happens. I was stricken for 2 weeks and couldn't do anything athletic. I tried to sleep but couldn't, tried to work effectively but from home, and avoided working out. Curiously, I didn't panic at all, probably because there was nothing I could do about it. When I did return to training, I was surprised at how quickly I was back to normal.

No matter how hard we try, sometimes sickness hits us and wins. The worst thing we can do is try to train through it. The rules of thumb that have worked well for me are: If symptoms are like a common cold and your energy level is fine, then press on with your training schedule. If you can handle the workout then you're effectively ok. However, if your energy is low, or you ache, or you're simply asking yourself, "Should I really head out the door?" then bail on the workout. You'll get nothing out of it and you'll risk prolonging and/or aggravating your illness further.

When you do return to training, it should be when you start to get the urge to. You shouldn't be forcing yourself to. If you've missed a prolonged period -- at least a week -- then take the first few days back a little conservatively. Shorten workouts and make them a bit easier. Don't head to the track for quarter-mile repeats! If after 2-4 days you don't experience any backlash from starting up again, you're not unduly sore, and you feel normal again, then turn things up a notch, then another and so on until after a full week you're back to a full training program.

You'll realize that you're back on track and lost virtually nothing in terms of fitness. What you may have lost will return in no time. So there's no need to panic. Give your body the rest it tells you it needs, and you'll be over the sickness and back to training more quickly than if you just try to slog through it.

Happy training,
Nate Llerandi
natellerandi

Return to Endurance Forum