Forum

Can Tinnitus Affect my Workout?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Re: Can Tinnitus Affect my Workout?

Postby steve-born » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi judyjammy -

I have had tinnitus in both ears for about 8 years. I don't remember the exact date or year that it began, but I remember quite vividly the day it "just happened." To this day I really have no idea what the precise cause was/is; all I remember was one day my hearing was just fine and the next day the ringing began. Unfortunately, it hasn't ceased... not a day goes by when I don't have at least some ringing in my ears, with some days being no problem at all (I've gotten so used to it that I forget that I have it), and some days being a real drag (the volume can sometimes be stifling, especially when I try to go to sleep).

There is a lot of information about tinnitus available. I think some of it is pretty spot on, while a lot of it I think is pure junk (like most-to-all of the products designed specifically for "curing" tinnitus are, in my opinion).

The best information I've found on the topic comes from the Life Extension Foundation. There are a couple articles that you might find helpful:

Hearing Loss and Tinnitus
http://www.lef.org/protocols/eye_ear/tinnitus_01.htm

Strategies to Protect and Preserve Your Hearing
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/may ... ing_01.htm

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/may ... ing_02.htm

The first article, Hearing Loss and Tinnitus, is 8 pages (links) long, with the last one being a list of nutrient suggestions. A couple of those nutrients can be found in our products:

Coenzyme Q10 is found in Race Caps Supreme
Acetyl l-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid are found in Mito Caps
Folate (folic acid) and vitamin B12 are found in Premium Insurance Caps and Xobaline
Ginkgo biloba is found in Super Antioxidant
Melatonin is found in REM Caps
Vitamin E is found in a number of products, with AO Booster being my choice as the most "vitamin E complete" Hammer Nutrition supplement

I personally have found that taking some extra magnesium has been helpful... in addition to what's in my daily dose of Premium Insurance Caps, I take an additional 200 mg of magnesium 2-3 times daily.

While there is no cure for tinnitus, those nutrients/supplements may prove to be very helpful to you. Everyone is different so you may or may not experience the same relief of symptoms as others may... as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary." I take all of the nutrients/products listed above for a variety of reasons, though I can't say with 100% precision if they - either by themselves or in combination - have made a significant-to-massive difference in my tinnitus. I definitely think that at least some of them have helped and I know that they haven't made the problem worse.

Again, everyone is different in regards to how well or not-so-well they respond to nutritional therapies... with your doctor's approval, you may want to consider the use of these products. I can't guarantee that they'll prove to be truly helpful in dealing specifically with tinnitus; on the other hand, I don't think that giving them a through try would hurt. Again though, please talk with your doctor/health care professional before starting on any of these nutrients/products.

Please keep in mind that these suggestions are just that... suggestions. I am not a medical professional so I can't provide you with medical advice. What I can do is provide you with information (I think the articles whose links I've provided are excellent), as well as some nutrient/supplement suggestions that I think may help.

Unlike you, I was not told to stop exercising, or only do specific exercises. After being diagnosed to the Nth degree (with no real resolution provided), I simply came to the conclusion (and this is just me talking) that this particular condition was not going to affect my life, at least not what I still had control over. I still work out at the gym and I still ride my bike as much as possible. Does it make things worse? I have no idea, though I know that when I exercise my stress levels go way down... and so does the ringing. In my opinion, stress is the #1 thing that makes the noise increase, and the more stress reduction things I can do - exercise being one of them - the less noise I have to deal with.

As you can tell, this is a medical issue that is "near and dear" to me, meaning I am intimately familiar with tinnitus and all the crap that comes with it. That said, after dealing with it for 8 years and counting, I've come to the realization that - at least for me (I can't speak for you or anyone else) - I'm not going to let this particular problem run my life. Is it a drag? Absolutely, a most undesirable one. But after dealing with it for so many years, tinnitus has become more of a nuisance than a major ordeal. Yes, I'd love to have it go away forever, and I'll continue to do whatever I can to minimize-to-eliminate it. Until that day comes, however, I'm going to keep doing what I love doing, and what I believe are the best things for me, with one of those things being riding my bike, even strenuously.

I realize that I've written somewhat of a novel, but I hope that the information in the articles will be of help to you, as well as my own personal experiences. As I mentioned earlier, I am not a medical professional so everything I've said should not be construed as medical advice. As it is with any of our clients who have a medical condition, I defer to your doctor/health care professional. He/she obviously knows your medical history much, much more than I do, so he/she should be the person whose advice you should give deference to first and foremost.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to email me directly at sborn@hammernutrition.com. I hope that this issue gets resolved for you, and I hope that you'll keep me up to date on how you're doing.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum