Forum

Elevated Liver Enzymes

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Postby jakeparker23 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:49 am

I have used Hammer products for almost a year as I trained for the SF Marathon July 19, 2012. In July of 2012, my doctor noticed that some of my liver enzymes were elevated (ALT and AST). We did a bunch of tests and couldn’t find any reason, so we started trying things. In October, the doctor suggested stopping the Hammer products for a month. When I retested after October, the liver enzyme tests were reduced back to normal levels. Specifically, here was the sequence:

• 7/3:
o AST = 31 U/L
o ALT = 62 U/L
• 9/21:
o AST = 31 U/L
o ALT = 61 U/L
• September sometime: Switched from OneADay to Premium Insurance Caps
• 9/28:
o AST = 41 U/L
o ALT = 72 U/L
• 10/4: stopped all supplements
• 11/7:
o AST = 31 U/L
o ALT = 59 U/L

I’d been taking two pills of OneADay Men’s multivitamin a day for the past year+ until I ran out a few weeks in early September. So, stopping this could have generated the benefit too. I switched to Hammer Premium Insurance Caps later in September.

For the past year, as I trained for the marathon and after, I’d been using Hammer Gel before/during particularly long runs. Maybe 1-5 per week. I’d also been using Endurolytes Fizz before particularly long runs. Maybe 1 dose per week. The most Hammer product I used was Recoverite, which I used almost daily after runs and Crossfit workouts.

As it stands now, I’ve kept off of the Hammer products. I don’t really want that to be the answer because I like Hammer products, have seen improvements because of them, and I really want to go back to using them. That’s why I’m writing here. Do you have any ideas what might have happened and what I might be able to do to make some adjustment and keep using the product? I don’t really have the resources to keep trying things and taking new blood tests after each trial. Help?
jakeparker23

Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes

Postby steve-born » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am

Hello Jake -

I took the liberty of forwarding your information to Dr. Bill Misner, who was the head of our Research & Development for many years. Though retired, he graciously shares his wisdom whenever I receive questions that he is more qualified to address than I am. Here is what he wrote:

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) is distributed with highest concentrations in liver, heart, skeletal muscle, and kidney. It is elevated during infection (liver hepatitis), obstruction (e.g., gall bladder stones), cirrhosis, fatty infiltration, myocardial stress (acute MI, infection, heart failure), skeletal muscle trauma or extremely vigorous exercise, medication use (aspirin, acetaminophen ), or alcoholism. Low levels are due to vitamin B6 deficiency, renal failure, or protein deficiency/malabsorption.

Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) is typically elevated in liver disease, although there are small amounts of this enzyme in heart, kidney, and muscle tissues. It is more liver specific than is AST. Even a needle shot into the muscle IM will raise both ALT/AST enzymes.Typically alcoholism, hepatitis, obstructive jaundice, liver cancers, cirrhosis, acute MI, exercise-induced trauma to skeletal muscle, and salicylate (ASA) toxicity can cause ALT elevation. This is because when body muscles or an organ such as the heart or liver is diseased or damaged, additional AST, ALT is released into the bloodstream. The amount of AST/ALT in the blood is directly related to the extent of the tissue damage. Aspartate Aminotransferase catalyzes the reversible transfer of an Amine Group from Glutamic Acid to Oxaloacetic Acid, forming Alpha-Ketoglutaric Acid and Aspartic Acid. Vitamin B6 (in its Pyridoxal Phosphate form) is a cofactor for Aspartate Aminotransferase. That said, alcohol, many prescription drugs, and some supplements [echinacea or valerian] may raise liver enzymes.

The standard reference range for AST for men are less than 20 units per liter while ALT is under 40 units per liter.

Please note elevated ALT, AST liver enzyme values were consistently high regardless of the supplement protocol. The likely culprit is training-induced muscle trauma damage release of AST & ALT enzymes. [I suggest] rest for 6 weeks then take another blood lab to confirm that exercise-induced muscle trauma is the primary culprit. I have marked elevated enzymes with each lab test result below. If this client will follow a "6 weeks no exercise" recovery period and have the liver enzymes labs performed again to confirm this suspicion, I would be willing to pursue a resolution against other culprits, such as medicines, drinks, nutrition, and of course supplements he is currently using.

--- END ---

I believe that Dr. Misner has covered your questions and concerns thoroughly. However, if you need more information or assistance please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby jakeparker23 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:41 am

Thank you very much for your attention and reply. This is very helpful. "6 weeks no exercise" is going to be TOUGH, but I suspect hs is probably right about the true issue and his approach would definitely let us know. Thanks again for you help!
jakeparker23

Postby steve-born » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello Jake -

Personally, I think that a 6-week period without exercise may be a little on the long side. Perhaps a 2-3 week period of no exercise might yield different results. If not, then I would suggest going for 6 weeks.

Just a suggestion!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum