Forum

New to Hammer

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

New to Hammer

Postby IronBadger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Alex and I recently started taking Hammer products. I have my first marathon coming up and need some help with what to take with me on the run. I understand perpetuem is the product of choice but I only have two 12 oz bottles on my running belt which doesnt allow me to mix the perpetuem with enough water. I am about 175 lbs and I hope to fisnish around 3:20. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I shoud do? Thanks in advance for any help.
IronBadger

Re: New to Hammer

Postby steve-born » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello Alex -

First, please let me welcome to Hammer Nutrition... we're psyched to have you on board with us!

There are a few runners/ultra runners on the forum so I'm sure you'll get some good advice from them. I have a couple of ideas to share:

1) If you do want to use Perpetuem, which is of course perfectly acceptable, you can make a concentrated, multi-hour bottle of the product... you can easily fit 3-4 hours worth of Perpetuem into a 12-ounce bottle. By making Perpetuem this way, you'll have all of your calories in one bottle, which frees up your other bottle for water... the only thing you'd need to stop at the aid stations for is more water.

We explain this in more detail in the article The Hammer Nutrition Fuels - What They Are And How To Use Them in the section entitled "Sustained Energy/Perpetuem Mixing Options"

2) Another potential fueling option is explained in the article Caloric Intake - Proper Amounts During Endurance Exercise in the section entitled "The 'gray area' of fueling."

I think that the information contained in the specific section of both of those two articles will help answer your question and give you a couple of excellent fueling options. Of course, after you've had a chance to read and review that information, if you have any questions or need additional clarification, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby ssrknordic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Alex,

I would also recommend some well planned preparation prior to the race as well. What you do the week prior can have as much of an effect on your performance as what you take during the race.
I have found using the Race Caps Supreme will definitely help with maintaining a sustained output at and above your lactate threshold. Using these for your daily workouts, especially intervals will definitely help improve your race performance. Also taking Endurolytes the few days before has definitely helped me with muscle cramps on race day. No matter how diligent i was on fueling during the race I would get cramps right around mile 21, once I started using Endurolytes this went away.
Best of luck in your race!
-Stuart
ssrknordic

Postby Luk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 am

hello, i'm newbie too. How long you take Hammer products? Do you have any results?
Luk

Postby steve-born » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Luk -

I'm sure that everyone posting here who has a history of use with our products can testify to their efficacy. We also have hundreds upon hundreds of testimonials and positive feedback on our Facebook page and on our website (http://www.hammernutrition.com/support/testimonials/).

Information-wise, I would encourage you to download a free copy of our knowledge resources:

The Endurance Athlete's GUIDE to SUCCESS
http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... ndbook.pdf

The Hammer Nutrition Fuels & Supplements
http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... 5.15mb.pdf

The Hammer Nutrition Product Usage Manual
http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... 5.15mb.pdf

These three resources will provide you with a TON of useful information about how to fuel properly, how to incorporate an intelligent supplement program, and what Hammer Nutrition products to consider using (and how much).

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum