Forum

Hypothyroidism

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hypothyroidism

Postby Stephan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Ugh! I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. This was discovered merely as a result of routine labs/physical. T3 & T4 hormone levels are fine, but thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level is in the 8.3 uIU/mL range.

I am not experiencing the typical hypothyroid symptoms, and at this time I am electing NOT to take the medication suggested (Levothroid).

Has anyone dealt with this, and can you let me know your experiences/what to expect? Also I am wondering how supplementation may affect the onset of symptoms.

Some brief background: 53 years young, very active, generally consider myself to be in excellent health, however, woefully in need of more sleep!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ride it like you stole it!

Stephan
Stephan

Re: Hypothyroidism

Postby steve-born » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello Stephan -

I do not have hypothyroidism; however, there are some nutritional strategies that may be effective for you. Courtesy of Dr James Balch (some of his text I'm paraphrasing), he suggests the following:

Kelp - 2,000 - 3,000 daily --- Kelp contains iodine, the basic substance of thyroid hormone.

Tyrosine (aka L-Tyrsosone) - 500 mg twice daily, preferably on an empty stomach --- Low plasma levels of this amino acid have been associated with hypothyroidism.

Vitamin B Complex (via Premium Insurance Caps) - Up to 100mg/mcg (depending on the B vitamin) per day --- Among their numerous benefits, B vitamins support optimal thyroid functioning.

Additional vitamin B12 and Folic Acid (Xobaline) - 1 tablet, 1-2 times daily.

Essential Fatty Acids, ideally from fish oil (the Carlson Norwegian Salmon Oil product we sell is excellent) - 2 capsules twice daily with food --- Necessary for the proper functioning of the thyroid.

There are other nutrients suggested, but the above-listed ones seem to be the most commonly suggested.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Stephan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response Steve!

I do take 7 PICs & 3 Carlson's daily; and xobaline after longer rides/work outs. I'll have to track down kelp & tyrosine, as well as up my Xobaline intake.

Let me know the next time you are out in the Bay Area & we'll have to get a ride in (you're welcom to ride my Torelli if you do not bring a bike)!

Cheers,

Stephan
Stephan

Postby steve-born » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 am

Stephan -

It may be easier to track down (not to mention consume) some extra iodine daily, versus a large amount of kelp (which, as you know, contains iodine). 7 capsules of PICs contain 112.5mcg of iodine; however, I have read that up to 1,150mcg daily may be needed (key words "up to"... you may need less than that).

REFERENCE: http://www.lef.org/protocols/metabolic_health/thyroid_regulation_02.htm

Thorne Research (an excellent company) has a product that contains both iodine (223mcg/capsule) and tyrosine (500mg/daily). 1 capsule twice daily should take take care of things nicely. It's not readily available, though I have found an online company that I use on occasion... I think their prices and shipping costs are reasonable, and their customer service quite good. Here's the link for that product:

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Iodine-Tyrosine-60-Veggie-Caps/18473

I have no affiliation with Thorne Research or this online store, but I have no problem recommending them both.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve

P.S. Thanks for the ride offer!
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum