Forum

GI with Perpetuem

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

GI with Perpetuem

Postby yorkcb7 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 am

Just wondering if anyone else experience GI issues? Is there a way of solving this. I am fairly new to Hammer so I am trying to figure out the correct blend of products to mix. Currently using gels, perpetuem, soy and fizz. All seem to be doing me well. I don't get sick or a turning stomach, become somewhat gassey around 2-3 hours into long rides. Trying to figure out what it is. Never happens on rides/runs scheduled less then 2 hours as I usually do not use to much supplemented nutrition. Any one else experience this?
yorkcb7

Re: GI with Perpetuem

Postby steve-born » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello yorkcb7 -

First, make sure that you're following our recommendations regarding pre-workout/race food or fuel consumption. You'll find that information in the article Proper Fueling - Pre-workout & race suggestions at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/proper-fueling-pre-workout-amp-race-suggestions.1279.html

The reason I bring this up is because one of the reasons why athletes experience stomach distress DURING their workouts and races is because they're improperly fueling PRIOR to the workouts and races. If you will follow our suggestions that are outlined in the article I promise you will experience a plethora of benefits, one of which is minimization-to-elimination of stomach issues.

In the article The Hammer Nutrition Fuels - What They Are and How to Use Them (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/the-hammer-nutrition-fuels-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them.1252.html), specifically in the section entitled "Key things to remember regarding fueling," I wrote:

A) The goal in fueling is not to try and replace all the calories your body is burning with equal to near–equal amounts from your fuel. As explained in various articles found in The Endurance Athlete’s Guide to Success (PDF/4 MB), and in back issues of Endurance News, the human body is not equipped to replace “X” out with “X” or “near–X” in. Fortunately, the body has many built–in mechanisms that effectively bridge the gap between what it’s losing and what it can comfortably accept in return from your fuel donation. That’s why your focus should NOT be “How many calories can I consume before I get sick?” but rather, “What is the least amount of calories I need to consume to keep my body doing what I want it to do hour after hour?”

Fueling this way—the “less is best” approach—makes much more sense, if only because a “not enough calories” problem is significantly easier to fix (you simply consume more calories) than an “uh oh, I overdid it on the calories” problem.

B) During exercise, the average–size athlete’s liver can effectively return 4.0 to slightly over 4.6 calories per minute back to the energy cycle. That's 240 – 280 calories per hour MAXIMUM for the average–size athlete under normal conditions. However, we have consistently noted that most athletes do well on even fewer calories, so "average size" athletes (approximately 160–165 lbs/approx 72.5–75 kg) should look at that 240 – 280 gauge only as a reference point (you’ll notice that our recommendations are even less than those amounts). Of course, larger athletes on occasion may need slightly more calories and lighter athletes will most certainly need fewer calories.

Larger athletes on occasion may need slightly more calories, lighter athletes will most certainly need fewer calories, and "average size" athletes (approximately 160–165 lbs/approx 72.5–75 kg) should use the 240 – 280 gauge as a starting point, if not lower.

C)All athletes must be willing to alter their calorie intake in deference to the weather, the terrain, their pace, and any pre–race anxieties they're experiencing, as all of these things negatively affect optimal digestive system functioning.

With this in mind, here are our suggested dosages for the following Hammer Nutrition fuels. As just mentioned, over the years we have consistently noted that for optimal performance most athletes require far less than the theoretical maximum of 240–280 calories/hour. This is why we recommend starting with the lowest amount suggested, especially if your weight is at the lower end of the scale, and increase the amount of calories you consume if you find it necessary.

Remember, though, that these are just suggestions and that you need to determine, via thorough testing under a variety of conditions, what amounts work best for you.

--- END ---

Take special note of the last sentence in the next-to-last paragraph: "This is why we recommend starting with the lowest amount suggested, especially if your weight is at the lower end of the scale, and increase the amount of calories you consume if you find it necessary." That's true with all of our fueling dosage suggestions, but especially so with Perpetuem.

In fact, I wrote a "Special Note" regarding Perpetuem that reads: "Due to this being a high concentration calorie source (via its complex carbohydrate, soy protein, and healthy fat components), we have noted that many athletes do well with a substantially lower calorie intake when using Perpetuem as their primary–to–sole fuel. Therefore, with this particular fuel we highly recommend starting with the lowest amount suggested—perhaps even a bit lower—and work your way up to a higher amount, if a higher amount has proved to be necessary via testing in training."

--- END ---

It is absolutely fine to use Hammer Gel and Perpetuem together or in combination... just remember that when you use both of these products, ALL of the calories from both of them count towards your hourly intake... you want to make sure that you're not overdoing it on the calories. As I stated earlier, our position is that proper fueling is "What is the least amount of calories I need to consume to keep my body doing what I want it to do hour after hour?” And if you do err on the "not enough" side, that's a lot easier problem to fix than when you've over-supplied your body with too many calories.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions. If you need more information, or if I have not addressed your questions to your satisfaction, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum