Forum

weight loss

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

weight loss

Postby slsail » Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 am

If I am fueling with Heed and perpetuem.
Which I do often since i started using the products this spring.
I had lost 25 lbs since august 2011.
I want to loose 15 more. If I fuel at recommended amounts, does this stop my body from depleting "fat stores" and burning the fuels instead.
Should I cut back and allow my body to burn fat as fuel.
fyi
I ride about 120 miles a week.
15-20 daily 30-50 on weekends.
started at 200 lbs
175 current
slsail

Re: weight loss

Postby steve-born » Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 am

Hello slsail -

After about two hours, perhaps slightly sooner, the calories from body fat stores will become the body's "fuel of choice," fulfilling up to two-thirds of your energy requirements. That's why we are strong advocates against trying to replace "X" calories burned with "X" or "near-X" calories from your fuel.

Our dosing suggestions for the various fuels are in absolute agreement with this philosophy so as long as you're not over-consuming calories during your activity, your body will still use its stores of body fats to satisfy the majority of its calorie requirements during prolonged bouts of exercise.

Conversely, one thing you also don't want to do is to starve yourself during exercise in the hopes of burning more calories from fat. Doing so will burn lean muscle tissue (which has a couple a problems associated with that), and you'll end up fatiguing-to-bonking much sooner. Plus, your body will tend to hold on to its fat stores more voraciously.

Bottom line is if you following our fueling suggestions you should be absolutely fine. Don't overdo it on your calorie consumption during exercise, but definitely don't starve yourself either.

I hope this helps, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum