Forum

Gi issue during long race

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Gi issue during long race

Postby flipper67 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Did a half iron today and an marathon last month. Usually eat a cliff bar about 2-3 hours before the race. Take 2 Endurolytes, 2 Super Antioxidant, and 2 Endurance Amino an hour before race. 30 minutes before 1 Gel. Today I had one bottle of Perpetuem with a mixture of 5 scopes. One bottle of 1 fizz in a 24 bottle.

Probably within the first twenty minutes I start getting a GI issue.

On a side note, no cramping in the last 4 races.

Phil
flipper67

Re: Gi issue during long race

Postby steve-born » Thu May 31, 2012 11:58 am

Hello Phil -

If you're going to eat anything prior to a workout or race that's 60 minutes in length (perhaps up to 90 minutes), you need to finish your food consumption 3 hours prior. This is especially true if you're going to consume solid food.

Also, if you're going to consume a gel prior to a workout or race of this duration, it's better to eat it about 5-8 minutes prior rather than 30 minutes prior.

The rationale for these suggestions are detailed in the article, "Proper Fueling - Pre-workout & race suggestions" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/proper-fueling-pre-workout-amp-race-suggestions.1279.html

Lastly, if you're going to take Super Antioxidant before the race, I think you'd be fine with just 1 capsule (take the other one after the race).

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Gi issue during long race

Postby PowerGoat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Phil,

What's a cliff bar?!

Some people, and I'm one of them, can't take anything for well more than three hours before. Maybe you're one of them. I would not have made it with your regimen either. I wouldn't have handled the gel 30 mins before, the tablets an hour before, or a bar of any type 2-3 hours before. Even water that close to running (2-3 hours) would get me. I'd suggest backing the time up earlier a few more times, and if it's still a bother 3 hours before, just skip it. You can start your fueling at the 2 or 3 mile mark if you have to--I wait for an hour for my system to settle. Everyone's tubes have a different way of handling things. Test our scenarios on the morning of your long runs to get a good sense of your timing needs.

Byron

flipper67 wrote:Did a half iron today and an marathon last month. Usually eat a cliff bar about 2-3 hours before the race. Take 2 Endurolytes, 2 Super Antioxidant, and 2 Endurance Amino an hour before race. 30 minutes before 1 Gel. Today I had one bottle of Perpetuem with a mixture of 5 scopes. One bottle of 1 fizz in a 24 bottle.

Probably within the first twenty minutes I start getting a GI issue.

On a side note, no cramping in the last 4 races.

Phil
PowerGoat

Return to Endurance Forum