Forum

Coffee and Supplements

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Coffee and Supplements

Postby jeremyangle » Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 am

Is there any adverse affect to taking the Daily Essentials with coffee? I have read that caffine will deminish the benefits of the supplements/vitamins. That if you are taking supplements/vitamins like the Daily Essentials, etc. you should wait an hour after taking before drinking coffee?

What is your take? True or myth?

Thanks
Jeremy

PS...I started taking the Daily Essentials back in January and notice a huge difference. Now that the weather is getting a little better in WI and my long rides and runs are getting longer in distance and duration...I will be introducing the Mito Cap in to my hourly pill packet of Anti-Fatigue, Endurance Amino, Race Caps, and Endurolytes.
jeremyangle

Re: Coffee and Supplements

Postby steve-born » Tue May 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Good question, Jeremy. What we know with a fair amount of assuredness is that caffeine causes calcium to be excreted in the urine and feces. The amount, however, is minimal... the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee will usually cause about 5 mg of calcium loss.

We also know with a fair amount of assuredness that caffeine interferes with the absorption of iron (which none of our products contain). However, according to the Nutrition Desk Reference, drinking caffeine at the same time as an iron source (food or supplements) can reduce absorption by up to 80%.

What we don't yet know with 100% reliability is the effects of caffeine on vitamin D. It is suggested that caffeine may inhibit vitamin D receptors, which will limit the amount that is absorbed.

It is also suggested (though I've not yet found reliable proof), that caffeine may reduce the absorption of manganese, zinc and copper. It supposedly also increases the excretion of the minerals magnesium, potassium, sodium and phosphate.

Assuming that all of the above is true, it would seem prudent to take supplements either an hour prior to, or at least an hour after, drinking coffee. That said, I have not found any indications that my concurrent coffee/supplement intake has shown any noticeably diminished effects. Sometimes convenience trumps what may be the ideal situation (taking supplements away from coffee), so I don't worry at all if - due to lack of time or other factors - I find myself having to take my supplements at or near the same time I drink some coffee.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum