Forum

Selenium

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Selenium

Postby andygarner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm a 39 year-old cyclist and Hammer junkie :-)
At a recent routine physical, I told my doctor that I spend 1-4 hours a day on my bike. He suggested that I take about 400mg of selenium each day as an antioxidant. Thoughts?
andygarner

Re: Selenium

Postby steve-born » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Hello Steve -

The Optimum Daily Intake for selenium is anywhere from 50 - 400 mcg daily, some of which (perhaps 75-100 mcg) you will get from your diet, if it includes animal meat, seafood, whole grains, vegetables, wheat germ, Brazil nuts, oats, brown rice, turnips, garlic, barley, and orange juice. You will also obtain 100 mcg from a 7-capsule dose of Premium Insurance Caps.

Selenium is one of those few supplements that if a little is good, a lot is not better. 400 mcg is considered to be the Tolerable Upper Intake Level, with excessive selenium intake, beginning at about 800 micrograms daily, potentially causing selenium toxicity.

If you were to supplement with additional selenium (assuming you're taking Premium Insurance Caps @ 7 capsules daily), my suggestion is that no more than another 200 mcg... that should be completely sufficient.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum