Forum

Perpetuem - When to start sipping?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Perpetuem - When to start sipping?

Postby brad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

I’m running a marathon and trying to keep my calories at the adjusted level for me (164 lb. / Middle aged male). My routine is to have a gel 30 min prior to the race - I carry a 4 flask fuelbelt : 2 - 8 oz. bottles of Heed/water and 2 -8 Oz bottle of Perpetuem ( 3 scoops mixed for 2 hours usage per flask) .. The question is when should I start sipping the Perpetuem into the race? , knowing that I'm been taking on calories with the Heed/water at the start.? What happens if I'm taking on too much calories? Thank you
brad

Re: Perpetuem - When to start sipping?

Postby steve-born » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Hello Brad -

I realize that you had emailed me with your questions, prior to posting them on the forum. I wanted to let you know that I am finally getting caught up in my email replies so please check your inbox! I'm posting the exact same information here as I wrote in my reply to your original email. Here's what I wrote:

Let's look at your fueling plan:

You're going to be carrying 2 flasks of Perpetuem, each containing 3 scoops each. With each scoop of Perpetuem you're supplying the body with 135 calories; 3 scoops will give you a total of 405. I honestly believe that at your weight, this amount of calories should easily cover you for two hours worth of calorie requirements. 202.5 calories per hour doesn't seem like a lot, but Perpetuem is so concentrated that most people, myself included, have found that less is really needed when using this product. I currently weigh over 200 lbs (I'm a naturally big guy as it is, but have put on an extra layer of "insulation" over the winter, which I'm now working off). Still, even at this current weight, I find that 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem (202.5 calories) is completely sufficient most of the time, though on occasion I do feel the need to bump it up to 2 scoops (270 calories) per hour.

With that in mind, I really don't think you need to carry HEED; I believe that you would do just fine on your 2 x 3-scoop flasks of Perpetuem, though you may want to carry a couple extra pouches of Hammer Gel just in case. You may only need to consume one or two total during the race (if at all), but it's always good to know you have some extra calories with you, just in case you're out there longer than expected or if the amount of calories you're consuming is proving to be inadequate.

If it were me, I'd just drink plain water to fulfill my hydration needs and I'd be using Endurolytes to take care of my electrolyte requirements. That said, if you do feel as though you need to carry some HEED in your bottles (instead of just plain water), I would suggest using/consuming only 1/2 scoop per hour. That'll add 50 calories to your hourly intake, which would give you a total of 252.5 calories (HEED + Perpetuem). That amount would be at the upper end of what I believe you would need calorie-wise.

I would recommend carrying Endurolytes and consuming appropriate amounts of them every 30-60 minutes (the amount you need hourly will be based largely on the weather conditions and how well or not-so-well you're acclimated to them).

If you're going to consume a serving of Hammer Gel prior to the start, I strongly recommend that you do it no longer than 5-7 minutes prior to the start... 30 minutes is too far out from the start, as per our recommendations (see our article "Proper Fueling - Pre-workout & race suggestions" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/proper-fueling-pre-workout-amp-race-suggestions.1279.html for more details regarding this recommendation).

Lastly, if it were me I'd probably start consuming some calories 20-30 minutes into the race... that's about the amount of time I personally feel is adequate for my body to get into a comfortable rhythm and be ready to take on fuel. Keeping in mind that everyone is different when it comes to when they're comfortable to start the fueling process, you may be able to delay that to 45 minutes into the race... for me, however, I think that might be "pushing the envelope" just a bit.

Those are my thoughts and suggestions, and I hope you will find them helpful. Please let me know if you need more assistance or have additional questions.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby flipper67 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:46 am

Steve, I got some Endurolyles powder which I plan to add it to my perpetuem. How many scoops of endurolytes per flask for the marathon? (I weight 190ish right now). I also been using a half of a fizz in each of the other two bottles. Is this good or not.

Bad cramper and heavy sweater.

Phil
flipper67

Postby steve-born » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 am

Hello Phil -

It's absolutely fine to use both Endurolytes Fizz and Endurolytes in either the capsule or powder form. That said, for me anyway, it would be a bit more difficult to keep track on my electrolyte intake because I'm consuming them from separate sources... based on what it sounds like you're doing, the Fizz would be in my water bottle and the powder would be in my flasks of fuel. Again, doing that is fine, though I personally would find it hard to keep track on my intake, simply because they're coming from two sources independent of each other (I need to keep things simple!)

The generally recommended dose for Endurolytes is 1 capsule of the encapsulated version of the product, or 1 scoop of the powder version of the product, or 1/2 tablet of the effervescent version of the product for every 50-60 lbs of body weight per hour. That's just a general recommendation; what you need may be different (and that can only be determined via thorough testing in training).

All this said, I would suggest that a dose of 3 Endurolytes per hour (3 capsules or 3 scoops of powder or 1.5 Fizz tablets) would be a good starting point for you, though you may need slightly more due to your physiological predisposition (a "heavy sweater").

On a cool day you may need only 1-2 capsules or 1-2 scoops of powder an hour (or 1/2 - 1 Fizz tablet an hour), and on other days - especially if it's hot and you're not terribly acclimated to the weather condition, and again, taking into account that you're a "heavy sweater" - you may need up to 4-6 capsules or scoops of 4-6 scoops of powder (or 2-3 Fizz tablets per hour).

As convenient as the powder version of Endurolytes is, when you put "X" amount in a multi-hour bottle or flask of Perpetuem (or Sustained Energy), it's hard to gauge exactly how much electrolytic mineral support you're getting with every sip (that's why I prefer using the capsules... I know EXACTLY how much electrolytic minerals I'm getting). Also, the powder doesn't always dissolve completely in solution so you may have to give the flask a shake to make sure the minerals stay suspended in solution and don't gather at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum