Forum

Hydration during the day after workout.

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hydration during the day after workout.

Postby flipper67 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm

OK, I believe that if you lose a pound of body weight during a workout you should replace it with 16/20 oz of water. But I really sweat a lot, up to 4-6 pounds within 2 hours while drinking 2 24 oz bottles of water.

My question is, how fast should recover this weight lose with water? Can too much too soon flush too much of the Hammer pills I take?

Thanks
Phil
flipper67

Re: Hydration during the day after workout.

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Hello Phil -

First, make sure that you're drinking enough water throughout the day to maintain optimal hydration status, aside from what you're drinking during your workouts. We suggest taking your body weight in pounds and multiplying that by 0.5 - 0.6. That figure will give you the amount of ounces of fluids (ideally clean water) that you should be drinking in addition to what you're drinking in your workout. A 175-lb athlete, for example, would want to gradually build up his fluid intake so that he ends up drinking 85 - 105 ounces daily. Again, this is in addition to what you're drinking during your workout.

Speaking of that, it sounds like you're either exercising in hot weather, that you may not yet be truly acclimated to it, that you're not at peak levels of fitness, or that you have a biological predisposition to fluid loss via sweat. When you reach higher-end levels of fitness and when you become even more acclimated to the weather conditions you're exercising in, you may find your fluid losses to be less than what they are now. In the meantime, or if you are just one of those "heavy sweaters" by nature (your biological predisposition), you can increase your fluid intake during exercise up to 28 ounces per hour. You may need another Endurolytes capsule to go along with that increased fluid intake, but the fluid intake - in and of itself - is still within the "good to go" parameters.

I don't have a specific time frame (at least not via scientific research) as to precisely how long it will take to fully replenish your fluid losses after exercise. Clearly, you can drink too much fluid, which may flush some nutrients out via urine; however, I think that it would take quite a lot of fluid, consumed all at once, to do that. If you're currently drinking 16-20 ounces within a short time frame after a workout, I think you can increase that to 24-28 ounces. As long as you don't chug it all at once I think you should be just fine.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby flipper67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 am

I been working out inside, so I think I just sweat a lot. I also been a cramper, seem to cramp in longer races. Also, my muscle seem to be heavy or tight all the time and seem to be tired a lot after a heavy workout.

Could this be related?

Phil
flipper67

Postby flipper67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 pm

I have been working out inside mostly, but always been heavy sweater when working out.

I also have major cramping issue with sore muscles all the time. So, I been wondering if I am prone to these problems due to lack of hydration or just tight muscles.

Phil
flipper67

Return to Endurance Forum