Forum

Omnium "A" Race Fueling/Recovery protocol

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Omnium "A" Race Fueling/Recovery protocol

Postby jwa » Mon May 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello All,
I am preparing to ride the Iron Horse Classic in a couple of weeks and am trying to work out my supplementation protocol. I’m a 5’11”, 160-165 lb 53 YO male in good condition and have experience racing (Cat IV). The products listed are all things I have tested and am comfortable with. There may be some other products you would recommend, or some things I’ve listed you might think are not needed. I would appreciate any input/ideas from the group on my plans.

The event starts on Saturday with a 48 mi RR with about 5700 ft of climbing. I expect to finish in the 2:40-3:00 hr time range. This is followed the next day with a 35 min Crit. and then a 13.7 mi TT on Monday.

I will do a 4-day loading of Race Day Boost (RDB) from Tues-Fri. My ideas for before, during and after each race are as follows.

Saturday Road Race:
Before Race
Endurance Amino – 4 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Anti-Fatigue – 4 caps
Endurolyte – 2 caps

During Race
Perpetuem – 4 scoops (2 hr bottle)
Endurance Amino – 4 caps
RCS – 4 caps
Endurolyte powder – 4 scoops

HEED – (½ – 1 hr bottle)
1-2 scoop
Anti-Fatigue – 2 caps
Energy Surge – 2 tabs

I plan to mix all the powders into the 2 hr bottle of Perp and then finish the race with a small bottle of HEED w/ 2 more Anti-Fatigue caps mixed in.

Recovery – at finish line
Recoverite – 4 scoops
Endurance Amino – 4 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Endurolyte powder – 2 scoops
Chromemate – 1 cap
RDB – 1 tsp

I’ll take the recovery drink at the finish as it will probably be several hours before I get back to the motel.

Evening - to prepare for the next day’s race
Recoverite – 2 scoops
RCS – 2 caps
Chromemate – 1 cap
RDB – 1 tsp
Whey – bed

Criterium (Sunday 12:20p)
Before Race
Endurance Amino – 2 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Anti-Fatigue – 2 caps ( ?? needed for a 35 min crit ?? )
Endurolyte – 2 caps

After Race
Recoverite – 2 scoops
Endurance Amino – 2 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Endurolyte powder – 2 scoops
Chromemate – 1 cap
RDB – 1 tsp

Evening - to prepare for the next day’s race
Recoverite – 2 scoops
RCS – 2 caps
Chromemate – 1 cap
RDB – 1 tsp
Whey – bed

Time Trial (Monday 9am)
Before Race
Endurance Amino – 2 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Anti-Fatigue – 2 caps ( ?? needed for a 35-40 min TT ?? )
Endurolyte – 2 caps

After Race
Recoverite – 2 scoops
Endurance Amino – 2 caps
RCS – 2 caps
Chromemate – 1 cap

My two big ‘A’ races of the season are on consecutive weekends, so on Tuesday after the TT, I plan to start another 4-day dose of RDB for a similar set of races the next weekend. I know this is a long post, but I’d appreciate any thoughts you have.

Finally, as a shout-out to the folks at Hammer, I rode this race 3 years ago about the time I was becoming receptive to the idea that I might do better for race nutrition than a sugary sports drink and a candy bar. Hammer sponsored the race and had some free samples that I tried out at home. The combination of terrific products that work and a vast, freely-shared knowledge base sold me. Thanks Hammer.

Jerry A.
jwa

Re: Omnium "A" Race Fueling/Recovery protocol

Postby jwa » Fri May 14, 2010 6:50 am

I know it was a long post - sorry. No suggestions?

Jerry
jwa

Postby steve-born » Fri May 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Hello Jerry -

Starting with Saturday's race:

1) I like your before, during, and after race supplement plan, and your evening-before-the-next-race supplementation plan. No changes there, though I'd love to see you add Mito Caps to the mix, especially in your all of your prior- and after-race supplementation, and your evening-before-the-next-race supplementation.

2) Carry some extra Endurolytes capsules with you, just in case what the amount of Endurolytes Powder that you've put in your bottle is proving to be inadequate.

3) 4 scoops of Perpetuem = 540 calories. 1 scoop of HEED = 105 calories. Total calories = 645, which provides you with an hourly intake of 215 to about 242 calories, depending on how quickly your race goes. That looks just fine to me.

Sunday's Criterium:

1) Anti-Fatigue Caps won't be be crucially important prior to the race but taking them certainly wouldn't hurt, not in the slightest, and they may in fact prove to be quite helpful (if it were me doing the race, I'd most likely take them).

2) If I were doing the race I'd carry a bottle of HEED with me to cover fluid, calorie, and electrolyte needs.

3) Your supplement plan looks absolutely fine to me, though again, I'd love to see Mito Caps included in there.

Sunday's TT:

1) Exactly the same info/suggestions (#'s 1 - 3) from Sunday's Criterium.

As you know, we generally recommend a 2-3 week (or longer) "wash out" period between RDB loading doses. However, you will have most likely used up most-to-all of the sodium phosphate that you loaded with prior to the race and supplemented after each race. So seeing as you have your two big races happening on consecutive weekends, I don't have any problems with you doing back-to-back four-day loading doses with RDB. I wouldn't do that habitually but because these are two key races that are happening on consecutive weekends I think doing back-to-back loading doses are merited.

Overall, I think you've got things dialed in quite nicely, Jerry. Well done! If you have any questions or need to go over any of this, please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby jwa » Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the suggestions. I had thought about the Mito caps but I've never used them, don't have any on hand and I'll be leaving home in a few days - too soon to order any and get them here. Maybe I can find them at a bike shop before the race. Do you have any full-service dealers in Durango, CO that might carry them. I'll also be going through Boulder, CO on the way.

Anyway, Thanks again. Going from low altitude to high passes in just a few days and racing about 20-30 yrs below my age group I'll need all the help I can get. :o

Jerry
jwa

Postby steve-born » Tue May 18, 2010 9:42 am

Hello Jerry -

My recommendation would be to take a pass on the Mito Caps for this race, seeing as you won't have sufficient time to test the product in your training prior to the race (one of the cardinal rules: Never use anything new in a race without having thoroughly tested it in training first).

You've got an excellent supplement/fueling plan going into this race so let's not deviate from it now by adding something new to the mix. Not that I think taking Mito Caps would be wrong or harmful in any way; I'm just a big believer that one needs to test a product and or supplement/fueling protocol thoroughly in training prior to using it in a race.

If you do find yourself wanting to purchase Hammer supplements or fuels at an out-of-your-town location, simply go to our Dealer Locator link on our website. From there you can type in either the zip code or the name of the town/city you'll be in, hit the "Search" button, and whatever is within a 50-mile radius will pop up. The stores at the top of the page, the ones with the Hammer Crank logo next to them, are the ones that we consider full-line dealers, meaning they carry at least five of the Hammer fuels. Not all the shops carry all the Hammer supplements so it's advisable to call ahead to make sure they have what you need.

Good luck in your race!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum