Forum

anti-oxidants compared

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

anti-oxidants compared

Postby jrawlins » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm

I've always taken Super Anti-Oxidants after rides, but I notice that you recommend AO Booster instead as a daily supplement. I always thought "booster" sounded like an addition to "super." Which should you take first? Which is better after a ride? What's the difference between the two?

Jack Rawlins
Chico, CA
jrawlins

Re: anti-oxidants compared

Postby steve-born » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello Jack -

"AO Booster" is just a name that we came up with so as to not make the two products and their formulas (AO Booster, Super Antioxidant) too confusing. I agree that the word "booster" makes it sound complementary to the original product, which we labeled "super" and which was introduced years prior to AO Booster (in fact, we were going to call the two product Super Antioxidant #1 and Super Antioxidant #2... how confusing would that have been?)

Bottom line is that they are both excellent products but if I personally (and I am just talking about me) had to make a choice between one or the other, it would be AO Booster, albeit ever-so-slightly ahead of Super Antioxidant. Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that AO Booster provides a plethora of additional benefits that go a bit further beyond the additional benefits provided by Super Antioxidant.

AO Booster is comprised solely of fat-soluble antioxidants, which I felt was missing in our product line; I tend to feel that our products had more water-soluble antioxidants in them than fat-soluble antioxidants. At any rate, because of these additional, general health benefits in AO Booster, I personally give that product a slightly higher "ranking" on my supplement list, and it's one that I feel people can benefit from taking on a daily basis.

More information about AO Booster can be found at http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN61/ENIssue61.html#ao

I take both products after a workout because I feel that the more antioxidants one takes the better in helping neutralize the wide range of free radicals that are produced during exercise. But as a daily use supplement, I personally believe that AO Booster gets a bit higher "ranking" than Super Antioxidant. Not all agree with me but that's how I view both of these products.

There is another article that discusses both products at http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN68/ENissue68.html#spotlight and I believe you'll find the information in there useful and helpful. If you have any questions after reading through these articles please feel free to post them on the forum.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby PowerGoat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Remember, too, that there are a lot of foods that are anti-oxidants. Make sure to eat a lot of those to get the maximum effect!
PowerGoat

Postby steve-born » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm

PowerGoat (that's you, isn't it Byran?) makes an excellent point. As we at Hammer Nutrition have always maintained, supplements DO NOT and WILL NEVER take the place of trying to consume the highest quality diet possible. There are so many antioxidants that come only from plants - science is still discovering more and more "as we speak" - that to go "supplements/pills only" while neglecting all of the flavinoids, indoles, anthocyanins, and other "found only in plants" antioxidants would be a major mistake.

Sadly, most fruits and vegetables do not have the optimal vitamin/mineral content that they used to, but they are still the best way (pretty much the only way, actually) of obtaining the myriad antioxidants that only they contain.

Remember, diet first and supplements to augment that!
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum