Forum

Tip of the Week

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Tip of the Week

Postby natellerandi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Focus on Everything.

Working out where I do during the work day, I get to see a number of the Denver Nuggets basketball players; this is their off-season practice facility and even in-season a group of them use it for weight training and general fitness. Traveling NBA players also have access to this facility, so fairly often I go from being "average" in stature to "shrimpy."

I keenly observe others while I work out. It's not overt, just something I've done for so long it has become second nature. After watching quite a few NBA players for a number of weeks -- more often than is typical due to the recent lock-out situation -- I found a few things interesting.

First, talent aside, it is easy to discern who the franchise starters are vs the journeyman starters and the journeyman back-ups. The franchise starters may not be "the best" at everything, but they try their hardest at everything. They're focused on the cardio equipment; they treat each Killer (sprinting back-n-forth along the length of the basketball court) as if it were the only Killer they're running; they hit the weight room will attention to detail and squeeze out extra reps. And so it goes.

Contrast this to the journeymen I've seen. While these guys are "good" and "very good", they are not great. That's why they're not franchise players. They can be "the best" at certain activities. Maybe one guy is the fastest at running the Killers. However, the journeyman will be the fastest because he's fast, not because he's pushing himself to be the best. If he can be the best at Killers without running 2 seconds faster, then he won't run 2 seconds faster. On the cardio equipment, the journeyman will spin on the bike at 50-60rpm on an easy setting, chatting it up with the player next to him. And so it goes.

There's the saying that the difference between being national-class and world-class is determined by roughly 1%. That "little bit extra" results in potentially huge differences in results between one athlete and the next. This post isn't about the super starts, per se. It's about making sure that whatever you do, you do it with pride and focus and with a clear understanding of why you're doing it. Otherwise, why do it? Why go through the motions? Even during a short recovery run, for example, you can still focus in on your stride technique and body position. Are you landing lightly on the mid-foot? Are your shoulders, neck and head relaxed? Are your breaths deep and exhales complete? Is your jaw slack? And so on.

Part of being the best that you can individually be, is making sure you're doing everything you can to achieve the desired results.

Happy Training,
Nate Llerandi
natellerandi

Re: Tip of the Week

Postby levi-hoch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm

That was excellent, thank you!
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum