Forum

Recommended race length for RDB

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Recommended race length for RDB

Postby brady » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

I thought I had read something a while back about Race Day Boost being more of a benefit for races of up to a few hours. I did a search for it and couldn’t find that reference.

I ask because most of my races are fairly long in length; 100 mile gravel grinders and the occasional MTB marathon.

Would I get a benefit from using RDB prior to long events like this?
brady

Re: Recommended race length for RDB

Postby steve-born » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello Brady -

Most-to-all of the studies using sodium phosphate (the main component in RDB) were done with athletes doing 40km cycling time trials, an event that takes about an hour, perhaps a little longer.

So does doing a 4-day loading dose of RDB help with longer events? You betcha! The reason is because the sodium phosphate enhances the performance of all three of the body's energy producing pathways. And even when the effect of the RDB loading dose starts to taper down (about 2 hours or so), you've effectively supported efficient energy production (and a few other things) during the first 2 hours of your race, which can only benefit you come the latter hours of the race.

On a side note, one of the reasons why Perpetuem is such a great fuel is because it contains some sodium phosphate in it, which helps replenish what you've lost from the 4-day RDB load that you did prior to the race. Think of the small donation of sodium phosphate in Perpetuem as a "maintenance dose" to help you continue to enjoy the benefits of the sodium phosphate that you loaded with via RDB.

I hope this answers your question.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum