Forum

whey protein usage

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

whey protein usage

Postby Bill » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

I just finished the detailed article on whey protein in Endurance News #77 (great article - thank you). I've been using Hammer Whey for at least six months now, maybe eight. Currently, what I've been doing us putting 1.5 scoops in my morning oatmeal, and then using Recoverite immediately following my daily workout. Typically, my daily workout finishes about half an hour or 45 minutes before my morning oatmeal (I've typically had some almond butter, soy milk, and a banana or apple prior to my workout, so the oatmeal is my second breakfast, post-workout). Reading the article makes me question whether I'm using the whey as effectively as possible. I can't remember how I got in the habit of using the whey in my morning oatmeal in the first place (or how I came up with 1.5 scoops - as opposed to more or less). I'm wondering: would I be better off stopping the use of the whey in the mornings (other than what's in the Recoverite), and instead using the whey in water right before bedtime, as described in the article? Or could/should I do both?
Bill

Re: whey protein usage

Postby steve-born » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:25 am

Hello Bill -

What you're doing is perfectly fine and, in my opinion, a very good post-workout fueling/feeding protocol. A serving of Recoverite immediately following your workouts will kick start the recovery process, with breakfast (oatmeal + Hammer Whey) about 1:45 after that adding more carbs and protein to enhance recovery AND while the glycogen synthase enzyme (which controls glycogen storage) is still pretty active.

The only comment I'd make is that you realize that you're getting another 27 grams of protein from your 1.5 scoop serving of Hammer Whey on the oatmeal. Nothing wrong with that; however, I wouldn't go any higher than that. In other words, 1 - 1.5 scoops of Hammer Whey on your oatmeal is plenty in terms of protein.

Keep track of your daily protein intake, both from foods and protein drinks/bars. Our general recommendation is about 1.2 - 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So take your weight in pounds (let's use 185 lbs for explanatory purposes) and divide by 2.2... that'll give you your weight in kilograms, which in this instance is 84. Now, multiply that by 1.2 - 1.6 and that will give you the amount of protein you should be aiming to consume on a daily basis. 1.2 x 84 = about 100 grams of protein; 1.7 x 84 = about 143 grams of protein. The lower amount would be what you'd aim for on short-to-no training days and the higher amount would be for when you're in the gym doing strength workouts during the off season, or when your training for your normal activity is at its highest in terms of duration and intensity (i.e. peak season training).

So factor those things in and if you're not achieving the amounts of protein you should be, taking that extra scoop prior to bedtime would definitely be merited. I find that the "scoop of protein before bedtime" works really well when I'm feeling run down and starting to get sick. The glutamine and other amino acids in Hammer Whey have really made a noticeable difference in helping me not to get sick during the winter time months.

I hope this info helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: whey protein usage

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 am

Wow - thank you, Steve, for that thoroughly detailed and very helpful reply. I appreciate it very much!
Bill

Return to Endurance Forum