Forum

8 hr relay fueling suggestions

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

8 hr relay fueling suggestions

Postby midz76 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 am

I'm competing in an 8 hr. trail relay on 5/22. I'll be part of a four man team running on a 5K loop. At best, I'll be running the loop 4 times with approximately 90 minutes down between my turns. Any suggestions on fueling strategies? Heed, Hammer Gel and E-caps are part of my daily routine now. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful with Perpetuem due to GI issues. Thanks!
midz76

Re: 8 hr relay fueling suggestions

Postby samuelnaney » Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm

I compete in cross-country ski sprint races, which feature several heats of 1-2km over the course of a few hours. While not exactly the same (heats last ~3min apiece) as what you'll be doing, it's somewhat similar. The first "heat" of a sprint is followed by a 1.5 hour rest before the next heat. After that first effort I try to immediately get in a combo of protein and a caloric load which exceeds that which I burned during the effort. Because there's 90 minutes between that first heat and the next I'm comfortable taking solid food (such as chicken breast or turkey, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, dried fruit, etc.) knowing it'll digest before the next round.

I figure it'll take you between 17-20min per 5K lap? My thought might be to use either Hammer Soy (easier on stomach mid-exercise, I've found) or solid food for protein, and get some fats and ample calories in as well (peanut butter or something). I guess it'll depend on how your digestion goes, so maybe do a "dry-run" sometime - go out and run a 5K then fuel up with a selection of foods, then run another 5K in 90 minutes and see how you feel.

Sam.
samuelnaney

Postby midz76 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 am

Thanks. I think that sounds like pretty sage advice and along the lines of what I was thinking.
midz76

Postby SherpaHerb » Sun May 09, 2010 11:11 pm

I wouldn't change any of your fueling, I would down a bottle of Heed during the 90 min. rest period and eat a gel 10 min. prior to my next start. Then fuel as usual while running.
SherpaHerb

Return to Endurance Forum