Forum

2 Runs Same day

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

2 Runs Same day

Postby wayne » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:54 pm

I am hoping to go out and do a 12 mile run with one group and then later in the day do another 8 with another group. I was told with three hour break Recoverite would be ok to use. I will use Endurolytes during the run and will take some after the first run. I have two main questions. First would it help me to take some additional supplements after the first run? ( Mito Caps, Race Cap Supremes and Premium Insurance Caps) Would drinking Perpetuem between runs help also? Thanks
wayne

Re: 2 Runs Same day

Postby PowerGoat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi Wayne,

Recoverite would be fine with a three hour gap. Take it soon after you finish so you have three hours after you're done if possible.

If your plan is to take Endurolytes and nothing else but water during the first run, I'd suggest reconsidering. Taking in some Hammer Gel--at least one serving--during the first run will make things easier.

I think that taking supplements in between is overkill.

Perpetuem and Recoverite in between is overkill also.

Getting some calories in (mostly or all carbs) during, after, or during and after the first run is important. Taking in some protein after the first run would be helpful. Recoverite would be great for this as long as you do have some time in between. I think three hours is about the minimum gap you'd want. I'd have a bottle with Hammer Gel and Electrolytes in it for the second run, especially if the first run was hard, hilly, or in humid conditions.

Remember not to skimp on the post-run cooldown after the first run. Swing your legs around, do some strides, etc., as this will have a direct correlation to how well you get things going on run number two.

Have fun and let us know how you do.
PowerGoat

Postby wayne » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Powergoat; you must be a trail runner with a name like that. Thank you for your help. I will be using the gels durning both the runs. I was talking about doing Endurolytes durning the first run and was wondering if they would help a great deal to take them between runs. Unless I carry some type food with me in the car I will not have food in between the two runs. I was thinking of doing Perpetuem as a meal replacement. Thanks
wayne

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Wayne,

I mostly agree with Power Goat except that if you have the Daily Essentials - Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito Caps - you could take those with Recoverite immediately following the first run to replenish the nutrients that were depleted during your run and provide some antioxidant support to help neutralize free radicals that were generated during the run and reduce muscle soreness as a result. If you've got 3 hours or more between runs, you should take the Recoverite immediately following the first run and if you'd like to sip on Perpetuem in the interim or even eat a small amount of easily digestible food you could. I would suggest eating as close to the end of the first workout as possible to give the food sufficient time to digest before starting your next run.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum