Forum

Strange requirements from an enduro motorcycle rider

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Strange requirements from an enduro motorcycle rider

Postby dea9 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:46 pm

hi there,

I've read the entire Hammer site and a lot of posts on this forum, and everyone seems very helpful (esp Steve of course). But I still need a bit of personalized help.

Activity: I'm currently doing 6 to 8 hour offroad motorcycle races (called enduro). I'm in training to do 12 or 16 hour rides in a year or two, and possibly 18, 24, or even 36 hour rides in 3 or 4 years if I make good progress.

Race conditions range from snow and mud, to 90% humidity on slow mountain trails, to 100+ degrees on desert roads at 100mph.

This type of riding feels mostly anaerobic, as my heart rate isn't anywhere near as high as bicycling (maybe 50 to 75%?).

About me: extremely high metabolism, very skinny (5'11" / 125lbs), and very low body fat (~4%). Currently, only drinking plain water and occasional GU energy packets. I sweat like a fat bastard, and regularly drink 125 to 200oz of water in a day.

My problem: General muscle fatigue and lack of focus over time. thighs, upper and lower arms, shoulders, and back mostly.

My plan: Continuous fueling using Perpetuem or Sustained Energy, and Endurolytes.

Strange requirement: I must use a camelbak only, as there isn't an easy way to mount a water bottle on a motorcycle, or carry one in a pack, and I don't take my helmet off the entire ride. If someone has a suggestion for a snazzy carrying system, I'm all ears. Otherwise, for an 8 hour or longer race it seems that both drink mixes will spoil and get nasty in my camelbak. Is this correct? I'll be refilling water every 4 hours at the minimum. Actually cleaning out the camelbak pack or switching packs would be a pretty big pain in the butt logistically, or maybe impossible in some cases, so I haven't tried that yet.

The solid versions of the fules don't seem to provide nearly enough calories and protein compared to the liquid versions, and I figure I'm trying to get as much in me as I can from fuels as I'll be slowly depleting over time (and my reserves probably aren't very big to begin with!).

Any suggestions? Or do I just need to buck up and have multiple camelbak packs ready to mix and switch?

thanks,
Dan

For reference, the type of racing I do is almost completely opposite from the only other motorcycle thread I found:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=349&start=0&hilit=motocross
dea9

Re: Strange requirements from an enduro motorcycle rider

Postby levi-hoch » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey Dan,

I've heard of enduro racers using thick concentrations of Perpetuem in Gel flasks which fit pretty easily into a pocket on your clothing or hydration pack. Perpetuem Solids would also be a great option if you wanted to take a few every hour while relying primarily on HEED in your hydration pack to satisfy your main calorie needs. The Solids would give you the protein necessary to sustain your energy levels and protect muscle tissue from muscle cannibalization from the body obtaining the protein it needs for energy production from the muscles. Whether you prefer the Perpetuem concentrate in a pancake batter or gel like consistency in the flask or the Solids, I think both would be a great complement to the HEED as your primary calorie source. I encourage you to try this approach in training and see if it will work for you.

Coming off competitors products, I'd like to remind you that we strongly recommend avoiding simple sugars during exercise and most importantly, don't use them with or in close proximity of our Maltodextrin based products as simple sugars and complex carbohydrates have different rates of osmolality and are an incompatible combination that could upset your stomach if taken too close together as explained further in this article: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section

To address the fatigue issue, I'd like to suggest Anti Fatigue Caps and Endurance Amino. These are becoming very popular with endurance athletes as the Anti Fatigue Caps will help with detoxification and removal of ammonia - a main contributor in premature muscle fatigue - and will help prevent unnecessary muscle degradation. Endurance Amino will help with reducing fatigue and protecting muscle tissue. A popular combination for endurance performance with the Anti Fatigue and Endurance Amino are Race Caps Supreme and Mito Caps that help promote energy production. For more information on the benefits of taking these supplements during an endurance effort, this article explains: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section Since you'll want to reduce the amount of work you'll have to do with your hands, you can simplify your supplementation by premixing hourly supplement baggies with all the supplements you plan on taking that hour so all you have to do is empty the contents of a bag into your mouth every hour. If this still requires too much from your hands to perform while riding, you could experiment with opening the capsules into your hydration bladder or Perpetuem concentrate. Keep in mind though, that the ingredients are encapsulated because some of them don't taste very good so they could alter the taste of your beverage significantly. Steve Born just addressed this concern in a recent forum post.

Perpetuem has some Trisodium Phosphate and L-Carnosine that help buffer lactic acid which is the burning sensation you get in your arms on the bike. For stronger lactic acid buffering/reducing benefits, Race Day Boost is a popular product for motocross athletes to take prior to important events that can reduce the amount of lactic acid your body produces for a few days.

I hope you find this helpful, please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum