Forum

Fueling for 24hr Relay

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Fueling for 24hr Relay

Postby rodwilsonsr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 am

Hi All,
I am on a 3 man relay team for the 24 hours of Great Glen mountain bike race. This is my first ever relay race.
My questions are regarding fueling and suppliments.
Since there are 3 of us, I could have anywhere from 2-4 hours of a break in between rides...and my rides could be 1-2 hours at at time...if the other guys dont want to go out for a lap, I could go longer.

Fueling for the ride I dont think is a problem, I will bring my usual mix of Hammer gel, Perp and bars. It's during the breaks...what should I do? Continually sip on heed or something or eat regular food within limits? I dont think I will have enough time for recoverite??

My typical supplimentation for races has been taking Race Caps, Anti Fatigue and Endurance Amino every hour. Is it ok to skip taking these during the breaks and just pick back up when I am going to ride?

I think that is all my questions.
Thanks
Rod
rodwilsonsr

Re: Fueling for 24hr Relay

Postby steve-born » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello Rod -

If you have close to 3 hours (say, 2:45), or 3-or-more hours prior to your next lap, you can definitely use Recoverite. Anything shorter than that and you'll be flirting with the ammonia "issue" that comes with the glutamine component in Recoverite. As I wrote in one of my articles:

"... glutamine does eventually scavenge ammonia. The key word, however, is 'eventually.' When glutamine metabolizes it increases ammonia initially, but then scavenges more than originally induced systemically, taking approximately three hours or so for it to accomplish this. Again, since you’re already producing ammonia during endurance exercise and since ammonia is a primary culprit in fatigue, it seems logical that you’d not want to increase ammonia levels. However, that’s exactly what you’ll do when you consume glutamine supplements or glutamine–enhanced whey protein during exercise."

So again, if you have close to, at, or over 3 hours before you start your next lap, the use of Recoverite is not only OK, I highly recommend it. You could also consume some easily digested food at this time... just make sure it's low-to-devoid of simple sugars and saturated fats, and keep the fiber to somewhat of a minimum (no need for an unscheduled bathroom break halfway through your lap). If you are going to eat solid food, finish it shortly after you complete your lap... you don't want to start your next lap with food in your belly still going through the digestive process.

If, for whatever reason, your off-the-bike time is only an hour or so (perhaps up to 90 minutes), then I'd suggest you go "carbs only" to "refill the tank." This would mean Hammer Gel + water or HEED. For anything longer than 90 minutes, but shorter than approximately 3 hours, I'd suggest you "refill the tank" using Perpetuem as your primary calorie source.

I'd suggest you take your supplements about 30 minutes prior to your lap and another dose with your food/fuel after you get off the bike. I don't think it'll be necessary to take supplements every hour, especially if you're going to be off the bike for up to 4 hours, so I think you'll get the best "coverage" by taking a dose of them 30-45 minutes prior to your lap and again when you finish your lap.

There are many, many acceptable permutations to my suggestions, but I think that if you use this as your starting point (your "game plan," so to speak) you'll be in good shape, knowing that you can tweak it a bit here and there as necessary.

BTW, your use of Race Caps Supreme, Anti-Fatigue Caps, and Endurance Amino is absolutely fine... just remember your Endurolytes and take them at the same time as you do these other supplements.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum