Forum

12 hr mtb duo fueling suggestions

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

12 hr mtb duo fueling suggestions

Postby bikerdude001 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:08 pm

I am going to race my first 12 hour mtb race as half of a Duo team. I will have approximately and hour and fifteen minutes between laps and am trying to devise a good plan for fueling/recovery between laps. Is is advisable to use Recoverite or is it best to stick with Perpetuem/Heed/Hammer Gel/Endurolytes and solid foods to meet my caloric demands? Temps will most likely be mid 80's if we are lucky.

I am 5'7", 180lbs and have been using Perpetuem and Endurolytes on my road rides and mtb rides of all lengths mainly because they don't bother my stomach and they keep me going!! I use Recoverite and now Xobaline (free sample bottle but will definitely buy) post rides and coupled with stretching I have been recovering well and quickly.

Any advice would be great!! Thanks!! Jim
bikerdude001

Re: 12 hr mtb duo fueling suggestions

Postby levi-hoch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm glad to her that the products are working so well for you!

I would suggest saving Recoverite for the very end and simply sip on some Perpetuem or a serving of Gel in between. Be conservative with how much you consume between laps though because that's not a long time to digest everything before you'll be back on the bike. For the most part I would suggest avoiding solid food consumption during your race and when you're off the bike. Solid foods take longer to digest and don't provide the same quality of energy that our energy fuels do and could potentially upset your stomach if you eat too much. Remember to continue taking your Endurolytes too. At 180 pounds, we recommend a starting point of around 3-4 capsules per hour. You can take more than that if you need them and especially if you feel a cramp coming on, take 2-3 capsules immediately to combat the onset of cramps. Hydration should be between 16-28oz/hr for best results. This is really critical the longer you go.

If you haven't read it yet, check out the Essentials to Getting Started With Hammer Nutrition article http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section This goes over hydration, electrolyte replenishment, caloric intake, and recovery as well as avoiding simple sugars during exercise. I'm sure you already know this but if you have questions about any one of those subjects you can follow the links in the article to further information.

Another good article that you should check out if you get the chance is Epic Workout & Race Supplement Suggestions http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section that explains how Race Caps Supreme and Mito Caps can help with energy production and Anti Fatigue Caps and Endurance Amino help with reducing fatigue and protecting muscle tissue. These supplements are really popular with endurance athletes and they work really well for keeping you going on endurance rides and races.

Good luck to you and your team mate Jim! Hope you do really well in your race.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby bikerdude001 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Levi,
Thanks for the feedback and your suggestions. I've read all the Hammer pubs. Hammer has a lot of products and trying to tie it all together is still somewhat confusing. I have been looking at the other products you suggested. and will probably place an order soon.

Thanks again!

Jim
bikerdude001

Postby steve-born » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am

Hello Jim -

Our Product Usage Manual (a.k.a. "The Little Red Book"), which you can download at http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/PUM.pdf, goes over all of the supplements and fuels, while also providing a brief synopsis of each of them as well as dosage suggestions.

In the supplement section you will notice that I've categorized each of the products in four sections:

Daily Essentials - The three primary products in the Hammer
Nutrition line: Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito
Caps. These should be the foundation of your supplement program, as
they provide the widest range of benefits for enhancing both athletic
performance and overall health. You should take these three products
daily throughout the year. In fact, because of the tremendous benefits
that they provide for general health, we even recommend them for daily
use by non-athletes.

Very Important - These supplements do not replace the three Daily
Essentials, but would be the next logical step, complementing the Daily
Essentials products wonderfully by providing additional support and
benefits. You can use these products daily or on an as needed basis.

Important - These products are not crucial in comparison to those
found in the Daily Essentials or Very Important categories, but they do
provide additional benefits above and beyond the nutrient support of
the products in those two categories. Mostly, these are taken as needed
at various times throughout the year. If you’re seeking the ultimate
supplement program, then you should consider using the products in this
category on a regular basis.

Specific Support - Most of these products are not taken on a
regular basis; however, they may actually become essential for certain
athletes and/or under specific conditions.

--- END ---

For even more information, download a free copy of The Hammer Nutrition Fuels & Supplements - Everything You Need to Know at http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... 5.15mb.pdf

I believe these two resources will help you with your fuel and supplement choices and purchases. Of course, if you have any specific questions about any of the products please let us know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum