Forum

COQ10

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

COQ10

Postby laeljon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 pm

I have been taking COQ10 for years 100-300mg a day. Taking Race Caps before and during cycling, along with COQ10. Is the extra COQ10 beneficial or is it a waste? Very competitive 58 yr old.

Thanks,
Laeljon
laeljon

Re: COQ10

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 am

Hey Laeljon,

Race Caps Supreme is possibly the best CoQ10 supplement on the market for many reasons such as the Idebenone component that increases the potency of CoQ10 and all the synergistic ingredients that aid in absorption of the CoQ10 and antioxidants that help counteract the free radical production from increased energy production. This excellent blog post by Steve Born on Race Caps and specifically the Idebenone component explains why these may be the best CoQ10 supplement on the market. http://www.hammernutrition.com/blog/ide ... #more-1827 I'd also recommend the Hammer Nutrition Daily Essentials Formula http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1253.html that explains why we consider the Race Caps Supreme along with the Premium Insurance Caps and Mito Caps to be the most important supplements we sell, and explains their impressive formula. Race Caps Supreme is our best selling product overall.

If you're already taking a CoQ10 supplement you may not need to take them with Race Caps Supreme, but I would encourage you to read the two articles I linked to above that explains why Race Caps Supreme is a superior CoQ10 supplement that you may want to consider switching to. You mentioned taking 100-300mg of CoQ10/day and with the CoQ10 and Idebenone in Race Caps, you'd have to take 300-400mg/day of CoQ10 or Idebenone by themselves to equal the potency you'll be getting from the combination in RCS.

If you click on the "usage" tab on the RCS product page http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... e.rcs.html you'll see suggestions for your body weight and activity level.

I hope you find the answer to your questions in these articles, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby laeljon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Sooooo is the extra COQ10 a waste or can my body utilitizd more of this product?

Thanks.
Laeljon
laeljon

Postby steve-born » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:48 am

Hello Laeljon -

First, I want to thank Levi for helping me out on answering the questions of our forum members. I've been up to my eyeballs on a number of projects here at work, as well as quite a bit of work-related travel, all of which has prevented me from being on the forum as much as I'd like.

Laeljon, as far as your question is concerned, the recommended daily dosage for CoQ10 is very wide ranging; anywhere from 30 mg to 200 mg per day is suggested. We include 30 mg of CoQ10 and 30 mg of its nearly identical variant, idebenone, in each capsule. Dr. Bill Misner writes, “When idebenone is taken with Coenzyme Q10, each potentiates the other by a factor of nearly 10X. Add to this the special antioxidant and performance-associated properties of Vitamin E, Trimethylglycine (TMG), and Inosine, the dosage from Coenzyme Q10 and its Ubiquinone synthetic, Idebenone, is easily equivalent 300-400 mg dose of what each generates when taken alone.”

So as Levi suggested, it may not be necessary to take additional CoQ10 daily, though it would not be harmful to do so, in my opinion, especially if you have high blood pressure (CoQ10 is a key nutrient for helping with hypertension).

If I were in your shoes and decided to take some additional CoQ10, I'd probably limit it to no more than 50-100 mg/day... I just don't think additional amounts would present significant benefits, unless you had a specific condition (such as hypertension) where more CoQ10 may be beneficial. As an example, I have read some research where upwards of 1200 mg of CoQ10 per day is used to help manage Parkinson's Disease symptoms. Now that's a lot of CoQ10!

I hope this helps answer your question.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby laeljon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 pm

I have been taking an extra 100-200 mg during hard rides along with race caps.

Thanks,Steve
Laeljon
laeljon

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you Steve for your expertise! You're the man. :)

Levi
levi-hoch

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 am

Hello Laeljon -

What you're doing in terms of dosing CoQ10 during your longer rides is fine, though not necessary, in my opinion. If it were me, I would take just 2 Race Caps Supreme during the long rides and, if desired, I would reserve that extra CoQ10 for AFTER the ride, which is when you'd receive the antioxidant benefits from that particular nutrient. If you were to take 2 Race Caps Supreme every hour during each ride you'd receive - in addition to all of the other components in the product - a total of 60 mg of CoQ10 and 60 mg of idebenone... that's plenty on a per-hour basis, in my opinion.

Personally, I just take a couple Race Caps Supreme after my rides but if you wanted to supplement with additional CoQ10 at that time there would be no harm in doing so. May I suggest that if you do that you take some additional vitamin E as well? Without going into the boring details, vitamin E works well with CoQ10, helping "mop up" excess fat-soluble-produced free radicals, while also helping to "regenerate" used up CoQ10. Our product AO Booster (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... r.aob.html) would be ideal, in my opinion.

I hope this additional information will be helpful to you.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum