Forum

Soccer Games - Fuel?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Soccer Games - Fuel?

Postby wakesurf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi everyone.

Looking for advice to properly fuel for evening Soccer games. Games are 45 min. halves at full speed -- I'm usually at 70% up to full VO max for the 90 mins (resting at half time of course).

Some games, I feel very strong - while others, I bonk. I'm unfortunately unable to pinpoint what is working/not working. My suspicion is that I'm not hydrating properly, and I have not been fueling at all during the games. So, my better games are likely due to better sleep, better recovery during workouts days previous to game, etc (?). <As an aside, I have played basketball each season for 20+ years now - games are shorter. I just started soccer ~20 games ago, and haven't figured out the longer play time and increased intensity. BTW, I'm 43, 6'3" and 187 lbs.>

I'm about to place my initial Hammer order for a more thorough Summer running/cycling regimen (Seattle winters - ugh), and I would love to also cover my Soccer addiction with Hammer products.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Paul
wakesurf

Re: Soccer Games - Fuel?

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Paul,

I would suggest reading the Essentials to Getting Started With Hammer Nutrition http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section that explains the importance of proper hydration (16-28oz/hr) electrolyte replenishment, caloric intake, and recovery. As the article states, the recovery process is just as important as the actual training you put in as it's during this time that your body has the opportunity to rebuild stronger for your next game. Taking a serving of Recoverite immediately upon finishing one of your games will help your body store a maximal amount of muscle glycogen so you'll have more efficient, long lasting energy in your next game. Taking Recoverite immediately upon finishing your workouts and games is one of the best ways to improve your fitness and reduce soreness the following day.

HEED is a very popular sports drink with soccer players and will give you energy via the complex carbohydrates plus some electrolytes to help maintain optimal physical performance. For the hotter games some additional electrolytes might be needed and you could look to the Endurolyte capsules or Fizz for additional electrolyte replenishment.

HEED and Hammer Gel are good choices for energy fuels on shorter distance (less than 2 hours) workouts and when you're out longer than that Perpetuem or Sustained Energy are what you'll want because in addition to the complex carbs like the Gel and HEED have, they also have a small amount of protein that's needed for the energy production process at around 2 hours and beyond. Perpetuem and SE do a great job of keeping you energized and going strong hour after hour and will protect muscle tissue from unnecessary degradation from your body digesting muscle tissue to fulfill protein requirements.

As for the supplements, the Daily Essentials Kit (Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, and Premium Insurance Caps) are the first place I'd recommend starting. These are the most important supplements we sell and offer the widest range of benefits for athletic performance and general health. Benefits include, increased energy during exercise and during the day, enhanced recovery, immune system support, aids in the prevention of certain types of diseases, supports the health and longevity of the mitochondria, and will help fill in the gaps where the diet is lacking. This article has great information on why these are so important: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1253.html

I hope this answers your questions, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum