Forum

Motocross Fueling

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Motocross Fueling

Postby Randy25 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 am

Im a motocross racer and am curious on the best way to fuel using Hammer products. Our motos are typically 15 mins or less. During a moto we usually acheive near 100% max HR for most of the moto. I will typically race 4 to 6 motos during the day and they will be spread out over a 6-7 hr span. So I may race at 10:00,11:30,12:00,1:30,2:00,3;00. How would I go about fueling for a day like this? Would I use the 3 hr rule or would it matter? How about fueling throughout the day? Would gel or Heed be enough for a day as described?

Thanks
Randy25

Re: Motocross Fueling

Postby levi-hoch » Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 am

Hey Randy,

I think Gel or HEED would be perfectly sufficient for the type of racing you're doing. You'll want to remember the essential "less is best" concept and err on the side of being under fueled rather than over fueled to avoid stomach discomfort especially considering the intense nature of your sport. You don't want to start your race with a lot of solid food digesting in your stomach which could lead to stomach distress. I'd recommend tapering off on the amount of calories you're consuming 1-2 hours before your first moto and in between motos you'll want to keep caloric intake to a minimum but some light, easily digestible calories would be fine. How to Properly Fuel Prior to Workouts & Races http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section explains more on how to best fuel prior to short events like yours. Keep hydration modest so you're not over hydrating and flushing electrolytes from your body. This article on hydration is helpful in determining optimal hydration during your race and daily http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section

Given the relatively short span of time between your motos I would suggest saving Recoverite until the end of the day and take it upon completion of your final race of the day. I'd suggest not using it between races because initially when your body breaks down whey protein and glutamine ammonia is given off as a natural byproduct and can lead to premature muscle fatigue. After a couple hours, it has a reverse affect and starts scavenging its own ammonia but you'll want to save it for after the workout and not take it within 3 hours of racing. Instead, try sipping some Perpetuem or Sustained Energy or eat small portions of easily digestible food like Hammer Bars or fruit or something.

Some products that might be helpful in addition to Hammer Gel or HEED would be the Energy Surge http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... e.atp.html - take 1 sublingual tablet about 10 minutes prior to the start of your moto for 5-10 minutes of peak energy. Race Day Boost http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... t.rdb.html is also very popular in your sport for reducing arm pump from lactic acid build up. We don't recommend taking Race Day Boost all the time but it can be very helpful for your important races. We recommend 2-4 weeks between loading cycles for best results. Being out there all day you may want to take some Endurolytes to top off your electrolyte levels and allow for optimal physical performance during the race.

Happy training and good luck at your race!

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby Randy25 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 am

I just wanted to give you guys a update. I raced this weekend and the results were incredible using the advice you guys gave me. I fueled in the morning with a serving of Perpetum for breakfast at 6am. The remainder of the day(90+ heat) I used nothing but Gel and Heed. By the time my last moto rolled around, 3pm, I was still strong and finshed the moto as stong as my first. Awesome stuff! Thanks!
Randy25

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm

That's awesome Randy! Thanks for letting us know. Glad it worked well for you, congratulations on your success.

-Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum