Forum

Perpetuem/HEED Spoilage

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Perpetuem/HEED Spoilage

Postby JimP » Fri May 13, 2011 6:10 am

Howdy. I have a point to point mountain century coming up. I wanted to carry my Perpetuem and HEED in closed water bottles that have no water from home to the start of the ride. This would be about 24 hours from when I closed the bottles until I added water in preparation for the ride. The bottles are tight but I am guessing not perfectly airtight. This would avoid carrying Perpetuem and HEED in plastic bags, as getting the mix out of the bags seems to be a pain. Would Perpetuem/HEED mix be OK if I did that?

Thanks.
JimP

Re: Perpetuem/HEED Spoilage

Postby duthemath » Fri May 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi JimP,

From personal experience, I can tell you that transporting HEED and Perpertuem in water bottles without liquid is perfectly fine. I actually just did it for an Ironman race with a three day lag between placing the powders in the bottles and adding water in preparation for my race. In fact, I would be surprised to find out if there is any significant degradation of the product over time by just transferring it to another container.

Jeremy Dodds
duthemath

Postby SquidBuzz » Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 am

I have done that in the past.

The key is to make sure the bottle is completely dry before putting in the Perp/HEED. The HEED is not so much a problem as the Perp. The Perp will get yucky (technical term) and not be usable. The HEED will survive, but will be a pain to get fully mixed without a shaker bottle.

As for carrying them in plastic, I have done that also. Measured out the quantity that I wanted and put that into a ziplock bag. I also then carry a small scissors to cut the corner and pour into the bottle. The only pain with this is disposing the bag and cleaning your hands from the sticky stuff. It nevers fails, my hands always ended up with powder on them and then became sticky. I started carrying some wet ones for that.

Good luck and have fun!
Todd Strobl
Sullivan, WI
Hammer Fueled and Sponsored

Hopefully I will have slightly more skill than stupidity. -- Lee Parks
SquidBuzz

Postby JimP » Fri May 20, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks all! I ended up transporting the Perp in a old, clean, dry 26-ounce Hammer Gel bottle - it worked out great as it easily held the 6 hour supply of HEED I needed and I have a lot of those bottles. The HEED I just stuck in the closed water bottle and it survived as well.
JimP

Return to Endurance Forum