Forum

6 Hour Endurance Fueling Plan

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

6 Hour Endurance Fueling Plan

Postby mountainman93 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:35 pm

I am planning on doing The 1st Annual 12 Hours of Millstone as part of a two man team with a friend of mine this year. Each lap is about 8-9 miles and will supposedly take the faster riders under an hour to complete and the intermediate just over an hour so I am probably looking at 1:15-1:30 for a lap pace for the 6hrs and am hoping to stay on the bike as much as possible and not get off if I don’t need to. I am currently just drinking water before during and after I ride (I usually only ride about an hr) with the occasional hammer gel, but I was wondering how to prepare for this and what I should be taking the weeks before the race (premium insurance caps, race caps etc..) and during the race as well (perpetuem, sustaind energy, raceday boost, endurolytes, anti fatigue…etc.) so I am very new to this fueling stuff and I saw how much you (Steve Born) helped with this guys “supplement program” viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224 and was wondering if you could help me out the same as far as what to take and when to take it and how much. I just turned 18 and weigh about 115-120lbs.

Sorry if this is posted more than once but tried 3 times and it never showed up.

Thanks A lot!
Patrick Salmon
BTW I will be showing off my new hammer cycling kit during the race and all of my xc races this year!
mountainman93

Re: 6 Hour Endurance Fueling Plan

Postby wayne » Mon May 09, 2011 11:51 am

Hammer strongly recommends that we do Premium Insurance Caps, Race Cap Supreme and Mito Caps on a daily basis and ths works very well for me. Am I to understand you ride for about 1-1/2 hours and then the other rider rides for 1-1/2 hours? If this is the case I would go with Heed during and do some bars or gels inbetween. If you ride beyond 1-1/2 hours I would go with Perpetuem and endurolyte tablets.
wayne

Postby levi-hoch » Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Dear Patrick,

I agree with what Wayne said about the Daily Essentials products http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/daily-essentials-kit.dek.html?navcat=essential-supplements These three supplements are the most important supplements we sell and offer the widest range of benefits for athletic performance and general health. Benefits include, higher energy levels during the day and during training and racing, they help with recovery due to the powerful antioxidant properties of all three products, immune system support, filling in the gaps where the diet is lacking, aerobic capacity, cellular health and increased longevity, etc. I strongly encourage you to take these daily and the Race Caps Supreme and Mito Caps can also be taken during your race to help with energy production. I'd recommend taking 1 capsule of Race Caps and 1 Mito Caps as soon as possible after dismounting your bike each time.

HEED would be a good energy fuel and if you have time to test them in training you might want to play around with incorporating some Perpetuem into the mix. Either in the powdered form or the Solids. If you like how the powder performs you could plan on using that or switch from using bottles of HEED over to Perpetuem for the latter half of the race. I personally like the idea of using HEED and eating a Solid or two every hour to fulfill protein requirements. You might find that eating a couple Solids in your time off the bike would be your best option so you don't have to chew them while pushing a race pace on the trail. Or you could have a bottle of Perpetuem to sip from in your down time. Just be careful not to eat or drink too much as it's very easy to do. I would stay away from solid foods for the most part and stick with HEED, Gel, and or Perpetuem. If you feel like eating something solid, you could have a piece of a Hammer Bar every so often but I wouldn't recommend eating the whole thing at once because they digest slower and don't provide the same quality of energy you'll need for racing as our dedicated energy fuels will.

The Essentials to Getting Started With Hammer Nutrition article http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section explains the importance of proper hydration (16-28oz/hr) electrolyte replenishment, caloric intake, and recovery. I would encourage you to read this article and implement these strategies into your training and racing. Endurolytes will be essential in an event of this duration so don't forget to pack them!

The last article I'll recommend that you might find beneficial is Epic Workout/Race Supplement Suggestions http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section that suggests using Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, Anti Fatigue Caps, and Endurance Amino to promote energy production and prevent and reduce fatigue.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby mountainman93 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I will be riding for the 6 hours straight. Once a teamates swith from biking to waiting you cant switch again so I need to ride the 6 hours without breaks along the way. I will read those articles also.
mountainman93

Postby levi-hoch » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 am

In that case Patrick, I would recommend training with and if it performs to your satisfaction using Perpetuem as your primary source of calories for the 6 hours you'll be on the bike. I apologize that I gave you information more appropriate for shorter distance fueling. If you're still more comfortable with HEED as a primary source of calories you can use that and incorporate some Perpetuem in as well. There are several ways of mixing Perpetuem such as in 1 hour bottles that would have the amount of Perpetuem you plan on using in 1 hour that would fulfill both caloric and hydration requirements. This method works well if you've got a way of obtaining fresh bottles every hour or 2. I personally like the multi hour solution where I'll put several scoops of Perpetuem in my bottle to last me for several hours (up to 6 before refreshing the mix). I'll then sip from this concentrated solution every 15-20 minutes or so and hydrate steadily from another bottle(s) of plain water. This works well for me because it allows me to regulate my caloric intake and hourly hydration independently. I imagine this would work well for you if you're planning to carry a hydration pack for water and could utilize a bike water bottle for your Perpetuem. Hammer Gel works well with Perpetuem as well and can be used to give you a quick boost of energy when you need it.

Let me know if you have further questions Patrick and good luck with your training and upcoming race! Sounds like fun!

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum