Forum

Question about what Hammer products to use

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Question about what Hammer products to use

Postby ryanboost » Fri May 06, 2011 8:39 am

I'll give you a quick run down of what I'm doing and who I am so that maybe it might help with my problem of fatigue.

I'm currently working out mainly to lose weight and get better at running, biking and swimming to hopefully enter and finish an Ironman this year.

Over the past 7 months I've lost a little over 40lbs but I'm afraid that I'm not doing everything I should be nutrition wise.

I make smoothies (usually 2 or 3 depending on the workout that day) throughout the day using the Hammer Whey Protein and I use Recoverite after every workout.

During the really hot days when I'm outside I started using Hammer Endurolytes as well.

I usually run around a 9-10 minute mile pace and usually run between 6 and 9 miles.

I usually bike for 1-2 hours and cycle between 12-17 mph average speed. It's quite hilly where I live.

Swimming I don't really keep track of my pace but usually do laps for an hour.

I always combine running or biking with swimming but never running and biking in the same day and never more than two workouts in one day.

My problem is that most of the time I'm extremely tired and feel completely drained. I'm eating very well and I believe I'm taking in the right amount of calories and such but I still feel drained.

Would taking in HEED or Hammer gels during my workouts be a good idea?

I should also mention I follow a strict gluten-free diet. I believe all your products are gluten-free anyways but figured I'd mention this in case you wanted to recommend something that wasn't gluten-free.

I'm 31, 6'3 and currently 230lbs.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
ryanboost

Re: Question about what Hammer products to use

Postby steve-born » Fri May 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Hello Ryan -

The result of your training sessions + the consistent use of Recoverite afterward, has allowed you to increase your muscle glycogen stores. Most athletes, when they are at their fittest and when they've been consistent about ASAP post-workout fuel replenishment (Recoverite) can build up a nice reservoir of 60-90 minutes of muscle glycogen, the first fuel used when a workout or race begins.

I would suggest that if your workouts are in the 60-minute-or-less range you could do them solely on water (or, if desired, consume a serving of Hammer Gel prior to the workouts). Some believe that you can stretch this "no fuel during a workout" for up to 90 minutes but I tend to err on the conservative side... better to not run out before the workout's done!

If your workouts are in the 60+ minute range, but under 2 to 2.5 hours I think that the use of Hammer Gel + water or HEED (your choice) is absolutely merited.

As far as maintaining energy levels throughout the entire day, I believe that - in addition to all of the athletic performance benefits they provide - the three Daily Essentials products (Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito Caps) will provide a number of general health benefits, one of which is more energy throughout the day but without any unwanted tweaking of the Central Nervous System via stimulants. I discuss the rationale for the use of these three products on a daily basis in the article "The Hammer Nutrition Daily Essentials Formula" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1253.html

One other thing you might consider doing, especially on those days where you're really dragging, is to take a couple of capsules of Anti-Fatigue Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ps.af.html). Several of the Client Service staff here at the office do that after lunch and they've all commented on how well it helps, and again, without messing up the Central Nervous System with stimulants.

I hope this helps but if you need more assistance or have further questions please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Question about what Hammer products to use

Postby ryanboost » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for the information and help.

Looking forward to adding those items to my next auto-shipment.
ryanboost

Return to Endurance Forum