Forum

Backpackers

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Backpackers

Postby wayne » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:46 pm

I have written several times for information and received some outstanding replies. I was wondering how many people are "normal" backpackers and are using some of the products? I have used Perpetuem and simply will never leave my house without Recoverite. I am wondering how you work in other products into a backpacking trip. We never go for speed; but we like to get on the trail and continue to move until we reach a trail camp. Thanks
wayne

Re: Backpackers

Postby tarmac10 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 am

I go backpacking once in a while, and I began to use Hammer products on my trips after discovering how well they worked for me when I was cycling. I use Hammer gel, perpetuem, and endurolytes while I'm hiking. Perpetuem is great because I used to get really low on energy unless I ate a lot while hiking. But now I fill up a bottle with perpetuem and sip it while hiking, and that's worked out much better for me. I will probably take some Hammer bars on my next trip as well!
tarmac10

Re: Backpackers

Postby levi-hoch » Tue May 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Wayne,

I do some hiking in the fall around here. I normally go for a pretty hard push and am out for several hours and I'm rather fond of Hammer Gel packets (I especially enjoy them when they're cold so I store them in external pockets) and Perpetuem Solids are superb! I've also been using Endurolyte Fizz in my bottles which has been really great, refreshing, and helps prevent headaches that I get if I'm not using them. Hammer Bars work well too and I'll use them a bit but many times I'll stick with Gel and Perpetuem while hiking because the Bars seem too much fuel for my hard paced hikes but I use them when the pace is slower or when I get back to my car. Recoverite of course will follow my hikes to prevent excess soreness after the hike and provide refreshment so I feel good the rest of the day. I have a fast metabolism and my body quickly starts burning through protein and muscle if I don't take steps to protect them so the Perpetuem Solids are key for me as are Anti Fatigue Caps which help protect muscle tissue by detoxifying and removing ammonia from the body and help keep me hiking strong all day.

That's what I use and it works well for me.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Re: Backpackers-fast hikes

Postby alpsmasher » Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 am

I do 15-25 mile "fast-paced" day hikes. I steam along like I use to race bikes.

I use Heed in first bottle, then switch to SE.

I use gel & mix of Heed when initiating climbs.

I use the Endurolytes every hour. looking forward to trying the Endurolytes Fizz.

I do not use bars/solid fuel unless I have some to "finish up" from previous adventures.

If I do an over-night hike, I follow my liquid/gel formula during hikes, then solid fuel for dinner. Breakfast is SE.
alpsmasher

Return to Endurance Forum