Forum

what products to use?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

what products to use?

Postby mikep » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I run the 800m and mile races...and was wanting to know what hammer products should I use?

Thanks in advance, mikep
mikep

Re: what products to use?

Postby steve-born » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

Hello Mike -

While 800 meters and the mile are definitely difficult distances (is there anything harder than the 800 meters?), they're obviously not considered quite as much "endurance" as someone who is doing a 50k trail run. I guess what I'm saying is that, in my opinion, most of our products that are geared towards enhancing energy production and endurance seem to realize their best benefits the longer one goes. That's not to say that you wouldn't obtain benefits from, say, Race Caps Supreme, but I don't think they'd quite be as noticeable as someone who would take the product prior to and during a multi-hour workout or race.

Still, that product, as well as a couple others, will provide assistance for energy production, which is always a good thing no matter how long or short a workout/race is. Mainly, though, my focus for you is enhancing recovery after your workouts and these products will also definitely help with that. So with that in mind, I'd suggest the following:

1) Premium Insurance Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... .pic1.html) - This is always the first supplement I suggest athletes use, simply because it "bridges the gap" between what you're getting vitamin/mineral-wise in your diet and what you really should be obtaining. Will it directly take 5+ seconds off your 800m PR? Probably not. However, it is going to ensure that your body has a sufficient supply of "the basics" (the vitamins and minerals), which will replenish what you've used up during your workout, which will help your immune system stay strong. I suggest taking 4 capsules after your workout and another 3 capsules during another time of the day. I don't think it's necessary to take this product prior to a workout unless you have a good 3+ hour window before your workout starts. So focus a portion of your intake of this product after your workout with the other portion being taken depending on when your workout is.

2) Race Caps Supreme (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... e.rcs.html) - The nutrients in this product will assist in the efficient production of energy from your food and oxygen intake. Many of these nutrients are also fantastic antioxidants as well, with a couple of them (CoQ10 and Idebenone) being especially beneficial for cardiovascular health.

3) Mito Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ps.mc.html) - The primary nutrients in this product help maintain the efficiency and integrity of the millions of energy producing "furnaces" (mitochondria). Both of these nutrients are also excellent antioxidants as well.

More detailed information about these products, the rationale for my suggesting them first and foremost, as well as dosage suggestions, can be found in my article "The Hammer Nutrition Daily Essentials Formula" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1253.html.

4) Recoverite (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... te.rr.html) - It is going to be extremely important for you to "refill the tank" with both carbohydrates and protein after all your workouts. We want to make sure that you're getting the full value out of every minute you put into your training, which means maximizing stores of glycogen (via the carbohydrates in the product), rebuilding and strengthening the lean muscle muscle tissue (via the protein in the product), and supporting the immune system (via the glutamine component of the product). The article "Recovery - A Crucial Component for Athletic Success" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1278.html) discusses this important aspect of athletic performance in more detail.

While there are other products that would certainly be appropriate for regular use, the above four are the ones I'd recommend starting with.

Now, the one product that I think will really help you during those really tough workout days, and most definitely come race day, is Energy Surge (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... e.atp.html). All of the pertinent information about that product can be found on its page on our website where it says "Benefits."

Those are my suggestions, Mike, and I hope you will find them helpful. If you need more information or have additional questions - especially about a product I've not mentioned here - please feel free to post them.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby kurtisj » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:58 pm

I am also curious about what product to use,
I work industrial construction, long hours, heavy lifting, hot,ladders, stairs, basically lifting weights and doing yoga for 8-10 hrs,THAN I do swim, bike, run, IF I have any energy left. I'm thinking sustained Energy but not sure.
kurtisj

Postby steve-born » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Hello Kurtis -

As far as supplements are concerned, I absolutely believe that the same ones I suggested for Mike (previous post in this thread) - Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito Caps - would be appropriate for you as well... and not only to help you physically in your arduous job, but for general health benefits as well.

I also think that a serving of Recoverite at the end of your long day would be appropriate as well... you've been doing a lot of physical labor and the complex carbs, protein, and glutamine in Recoverite will definitely be of benefit to you. Glutamine is kind of a funny nutrient in that, while incredibly beneficial, it is not terribly stable for long periods of time in solution. Therefore, if you do use the product, the best thing to do is to have a couple of scoops of powder in a water bottle but wait until you're ready to drink it before you add water.

As far as what do consume during your work day, Sustained Energy would certainly be acceptable. However, because all of the Hammer products can be used in combination, you don't have to "be stuck" with using just Sustained Energy. Personally, while I really like Sustained Energy (I've been using it forever it seems), I'm quite fond of Perpetuem, especially the caffe latte flavor. When I want something solid to eat, a Hammer Bar fits the bill perfectly. And sometimes, when I'm just craving a quick hit of energy, a pouch of Hammer Gel takes care of my energy needs quite nicely.

A lot of construction workers enjoy drinking HEED (especially on really hot days) because it's light, refreshing, and takes care of fluid and calories needs, and at least some of their electrolyte needs, very well.

What I'm getting at is that you have a lot of options available to you so don't feel that you're limited to just one product... you can use several throughout the day if you like. What I do need to mention is that if you use Sustained Energy or Perpetuem, have a way to keep the product cold so that it'll still be palatable on a hot day. In other words, if you make a single-hour or multi-hour bottle of either of those two fuels, keep the bottle(s) in an ice chest so that it/they stay nice and cold, and so that the protein component maintains its integrity (protein, when exposed to heat, air, and water for a number of hours, will eventually degrade a bit, at which point it is no longer drinkable).

I hope this information helps but if you need more assistance please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum