Forum

Race Day Boost Capsules

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Day Boost Capsules

Postby andygarner » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Steve,
I have road races (cycling) every weekend in April and about every other weekend May - August. I noticed on the RDB bottle that Hammer suggests 3-4 weeks between usage. Given my busy race schedule this spring, how can I get the most out of RDB? Is it ok to use it every week in April?
andygarner

Re: Race Day Boost Capsules

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

Dear Andy,

If you have two "A" priority races on back-to-back weekends you can do two separate loading doses without any issues. That said, I don't advocate the frequent use of Race Day Boost for a couple reasons: 1, the body will build up a tolerance to the sodium phosphate, which means that the you will most likely not enjoy the same benefits as if you only did it for a few "A" priority races spaced out throughout your season. You also want to condition your body to become more efficient at clearing lactic acid without the aid of Race Day Boost so that when you do load with the product, it will "treat" your muscles to less lactic acid than they are accustomed to dealing with. Also, it is purported that excess phosphate interferes with calcium absorption/utilization, which is definitely not a desirable effect. HEED has some L-Carnosine that offers some amount lactic acid buffering if you're using that as an energy fuel for shorter events and on your longer distance training and racing (exercise lasting 2 hours or more) the Perpetuem would be an ideal fuel choice and it too has L-Carnosine and some Trisodium Phosphate (primary ingredient in RDB) for some lactic acid buffering benefits.

I would have to suggest that you choose your most important races (preferably spaced 2-4 weeks apart) and load with Race Day Boost for those and rely on the HEED or Perpetuem for lactic acid buffering on the other races.

Happy training!

Levi (I'm sure Steve will chime in if he has anything to add) :)
levi-hoch

Re: Race Day Boost Capsules

Postby andygarner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Levi,
Thanks so much for the feedback. I have two "priority" races on back-to-back weekends, so I'll follow your advice and load RDB for those two. There's not another "priority" race until mid-May, so that'll give me a break from RDB for about a month.

I do use HEED for shorter races, and Perpetuem for longer events. I used Perpetuem as my sole fuel source (+ Endurolytes) for a 200k cycling event in February of this year and had huge success with that product. I spread the gospel of Hammer everywhere I go.

Happy racing season!
Andy
andygarner

Return to Endurance Forum