Forum

Perpetuem spoilage questions

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Perpetuem spoilage questions

Postby dekindy+ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I am well aware of the spoilage issue with Perpetuem but have been unable to search and find an answer to these specific questions.

Does mixing Perpertuem into a batter or paste delay spoilage as compared to a multi-hour bottle mixd for 2 or 3 hours?
Does a thicker concentration in a multi-hour delay spoilage as compated to an hour bottle?

Is it possible to mix Perpetuem and Hammergel into a batter consistency close to the same as miximg Perpetuem with water? Does this delay spoilage or actually prevent spoilage becaue water is not used? I don't want to mix it into a paste consistency.
Dwight
Avid Recreational Cyclist
dekindy+

Re: Perpetuem spoilage questions

Postby steve-born » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 am

Hello dekindy+ (please post your first name in the future so we know who you are!) -

I do not have any "science" to back this up but from my own experience I have found that Perpetuem mixed in a super concentrated pancake batter (I call it Perpetuem Paste) seems to have a longer "shelf life" once mixed as compared to when I mix it in a water bottle. I attribute this to less water being used in the Perpetuem Paste mixture as well as less opportunity for air to get in to the flask as compared to a water bottle.

What I mean by the latter is that when I make a 3-hour bottle of Perpetuem (as an example), I will be drinking from that bottle more frequently that I would be if I had made it in a super concentrated "paste" and taking infrequent sips from the flask. The opportunity for oxygen to get into the bottle appears to be greater than it would be when making a more concentrated mix. That, along with the increased amount of fluid, would suggest that spoilage would occur sooner with a bottle of Perpetuem versus a super-concentrated flask of Perpetuem.

Again, I don't have any research to back up this hypothesis but I do believe it makes sense, based on my experiences as well as from others.

Remember, though, that you have several hours (I estimate 6-8) under normal conditions before spoilage issues start to occur. In hotter weather you can, of course, expect spoilage potential to occur sooner (and the mixture will not taste very good at all well before then). If you know it's going to be a hot day and you want to make Perpetuem in a bottle beforehand, I suggest freezing it and/or using an insulated water bottle.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby steve-born » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 am

dekindy+

My apologies; I just now saw that you had listed your name (Paul) on another post. Thanks for doing that and to everyone on the forum, please list your first name on all your posts... it's the only way we know who you are!

Thanks!

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby dekindy+ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am

The name is Dwight. I entered a signature and it automatically edited all my posts. Thanks.
Dwight
Avid Recreational Cyclist
dekindy+

Return to Endurance Forum