Forum

Best Recovery Aid

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Best Recovery Aid

Postby JimP » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 am

Hey folks. I find that after a hard Saturday ride (I am a cyclist), the next day it is hard for me to get my heart rate up into the proper zone (zone 2 - endurance). I suspect I am not recovering very well. What would be the one best supplement for me to try? I fuel with Perpetuem, HEED and Hammer Gels and consume up a serving of Recoverite right after my rides. Thanks.
JimP

Re: Best Recovery Aid

Postby steve-born » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 am

Hello Jim -

Check out my article Epic Workout/Race Supplement Suggestions (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... 14741.html) as it will give you some options as to what supplements to take prior to, during, and after a lengthy and/or particularly arduous workout. I'm not kidding when I tell you that using this supplement program during the January Hammer Camp (for which I was not in great shape) very much helped me to get out of bed the next day, let alone ride another 4-5 hour day for a week.

I am also a big believer in the use of Hammer Whey, taking 1 scoop in water prior to bedtime. Sleep is when many of the body's recuperative/restorative processes take place so when you consume a scoop of Hammer Whey prior to bed (away from any/all carbs) you're giving your body a nice bolus of amino acids, which the body will use to help with the muscle tissue reparation process. Additionally, you are also providing the body with a hefty dose of glutamine, which (among its many benefits) is ideal for boosting the immune system.

I really think that this program will help you, in particular the recovery-specific supplements and the Hammer Whey prior to bedtime, so I would encourage you to give it a try.

If you have any specific questions on any of the products I've listed in the article please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum