Forum

Using Heed & Perp for century ride

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Using Heed & Perp for century ride

Postby rickb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am

I've think come up with a recipe for my late Feb. century ride using Heed and Perp. Wondering if this sounds good to you guys (toomuch? not enough? just right?).....BTW I'm 5'11" 200 lbs. and dropping...

(First 2 hrs.)
2 (1hr) bottles w/2 scoops Heed each + 1 gel/hr = 300 cal/hr - this for the first couple of hours then:

(Next 2 hrs.)
1 (2hr) bottle w/4 scoops unflavored Perp and 1 scoop Heed = 312 cal/hr
1 bottle water for hydration

(Next 2hrs. or finish)
Refill Perp/Heed bottle and water bottle. I will be using endurolytes and carry extra gels for backup carbs if needed....
Bike to Live - Live to Bike
rickb

Re: Using Heed & Perp for century ride

Postby rickb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 am

ok so I'm gonna make it simpler and cut down the cals a bit:

2 bottles Heed 1.5 scoops ea. for 2hrs.
then:
1 bottle Perp 5 scoops w/1 scoop Heed and 1 bottle (refilled) water for 3hrs

with a flask of gel and a pocketful of endorulytes.
rickb

Postby steve-born » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello Rick -

I am the just about the same height and weight as you so I believe I can accurately comment on your fueling strategy. First, I just want to mention that it's not 100% necessary nor crucial to go "carbs only" (HEED or Hammer Gel) during the first 1-2 hours, then switch over to "carbs + protein" (Perpetuem or Sustained Energy) after that. It's absolutely fine to do that, it's just not crucial... you can do a full century ride on Perpetuem only, if desired, or you could follow a protocol similar to yours. Both would be perfectly acceptable.

Over the years I have been finding that my calorie needs, especially when using Perpetuem, are not as high as I originally thought necessary. In fact, during the recently-completed Hammer Camp, I found myself going with less calories than ever before when using Perpetuem, which as you know is a very concentrated calorie source. In fact, when I made a 4-hour bottle of Perpetuem, I used 7 scoops. At 135 calories per scoop this gave me a total of 945 calories, equal to a tad over 236/hour. On the surface it didn't seem like a sufficient amount but it worked extremely well.

My point is that I believe you can easily get by on less than 300 calories per hour, perhaps significantly so (anywhere from 230-260/hour may serve you quite well) . And for sure I would recommend that you not consume more than 300/hour... I just don't think you need that much. And if you do err on the "not enough" side in terms of calories, that's a much easier problem to fix than an "uh oh, I over-supplied my body with too many calories" problem. We continue to preach that "less is best" and that's one of the reasons why... because it's easier to increase your calorie intake, if it is found to be necessary, than it is to try and overcome issues that arise when too many calories are consumed.

If I do a 6-hour ride I try to make things as easy as possible so I make 1 x 4-hour bottle of Perpetuem and carry a full flask of Hammer Gel. I now have 6 hours of fuel in two small vessels. Basically, all I need to do is get more water along the way (and of course I'll want to take Endurolytes as well). That's just what I do, however, but I want to throw that out there for your consideration.

Let's look at your fueling protocol for this event:

*** 2 bottles Heed 1.5 scoops ea. for 2hrs.

REPLY - Each scoop of HEED contains 100 calories so 1.5 scoops will supply 150 calories. That may be a bit on the low side so you can either increase the amount of HEED you're consuming or you can augment that 1.5 scoops of HEED with an appropriate amount of Hammer Gel... again, let's try to keep things in the 230-260 calories/hour range and see how that goes.

*** 1 bottle Perp 5 scoops w/1 scoop Heed and 1 bottle (refilled) water for 3hrs.

REPLY - This will provide 775 calories, 675 from Perpetuem (@ 135/scoop) and 100 from HEED (@ 100/scoop). This will supply you with approximately 258 calories/hour, which I think is spot on. In fact, you may find that you don't even need that amount. Still, drink 1/3 of that bottle every hour, augmenting with sufficient amounts of water and Endurolytes, and if you end the ride with some of your Perpetuem/HEED combination still in the bottle that's absolutely fine (my main point is that you not feel it 100% necessary to finish that bottle if your body is telling you it doesn't need any more calories).

I hope that this information, lengthy as it is, will be of help to you. If you do have additional questions or need more clarification, please let me know.

Sincerely-

Steve

with a flask of gel and a pocketful of endorulytes.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby rickb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you, very helpful! I think I like the idea of using just the Perp for long distance events, and Heed for my training rides up to 3 hrs. Does simplify things. I think I'll add a scoop of Heed for flavor making a 4 - 4 1/2 hr bottle at 1050 cal or 233 - 262 per hour...... Any one have other ideas to flavor the Perp or just leave it plain?
rickb

Postby steve-born » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello Rick -

The various flavors of HEED seem to be the most popular way to flavor the plain version of Perpetuem (or Sustained Energy), though Hammer Gel can be used as well. A friend of mine who did the Race Across Oregon fueled the entire way (nearly 48 hours on the bike) on his "special concoction" of plain Perpetuem and a mixture of raspberry and espresso Hammer Gel.

I'm kind of on both sides of the fence in that I have always preferred Sustained Energy "as is" with no flavoring added whatsoever. On the other hand, I am a big fan of the caffe latte flavor of Perpetuem so I don't need to flavor it at all.

One of the nice things with the Hammer fuels is that they are interchangeable, which means you can mix them together without any stomach issues (you can't do that with simple sugar-based fuels and our fuels, which are complex carbohydrate-only fuels). The main things are that:

1) You know what the total amount of calories you have in your bottle, from whatever mixtures of our fuels that you're using

2) You consume an appropriate amount of that fuel/fuel combination per hour

You get those two things dialed in and the rest is pretty easy!

Please let me know if you need additional help.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum