Forum

6 hour fueling

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

6 hour fueling

Postby tva448 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 pm

I've got a mountain bike race coming up. It's a timetrial 3 race series. The first I have already completed. The second is coming up, while the third is in March. It is 37 miles with about 6500' of climbing and very technical.

The half way point is the only sag stop and takes me roughly 1:30-45. Then the last half is about double that.

I have never tried to "no pre-race meal" method and want to try it. The last race my stomach got queezy about 2/3 into the race.
What is a typical nutrient/supplement plan for this sort of race? I weight approx. 175lbs at 5'11".

I have a goal to increase my time by 30 minutes at least at the March race, but maybe a better nutrition plan will help overall.

Thanks in advance
Tim D
HAMMER-On
Tim D.
tva448

Re: 6 hour fueling

Postby steve-born » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello Tim -

Are you currently using any of the Hammer supplements or fuels? If so, please let me know which ones you're using and how you're using them... that will help me to provide a more accurate answer for you in terms of how many calories you should consider consuming from which fuel(s) and which supplements you should consider taking.

In general, at your weight and under normal conditions, you should do very nicely with the following intake:

*** 20-25 ounces of fluid an hour (+ or - 3-4 ounces, depending on the weather)
*** 200-250 calories an hour
*** 3 Endurolytes an hour (more, if the weather is hotter)

As I mentioned in another post, when I do a 6-hour ride I try to keep things as simple as possible. For me, that means a 4-hour bottle of Perpetuem and a flask of Hammer Gel. Bingo! I've got 6 hours of fuel in one bottle and one flask. All I have to do is make sure I'm drinking sufficient amounts of water and taking in adequate amounts of Endurolytes to cover my fueling needs.

As far as supplements are concerned, I tend to run pretty much the whole gamut of products, which I outline in the article "Epic Workout/Race Supplement Suggestions" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... 14741.html). As you will see in that article, this is a pretty extensive list of supplements that I take prior to, during, and after a prolonged bout of exercise, be it workout or race.

If you wanted to simplify things a bit, I would suggest that the primary supplements to be taken on a daily basis would be the three Daily Essentials - Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito Caps. These will provide, in my opinion, the widest range of benefits for both athletic performance and overall health enhancement.

Before a workout or race, and during a 3+ hour workout or race - and again, this is the "scaled down" protocol, assuming I could only select a couple of products - I would use Race Caps Supreme, Anti-Fatigue Caps, and Endurance Amino. That's not to say that the other products wouldn't be appropriate or beneficial. However, if I had to limit myself to a handful of products, those three are the ones that I personally believe would provide the most benefits, especially for a race such as the one you're doing.

In closing, I need to mention that it's very important that you test all of these products and protocols (including the "no eating for 3 hours prior") in your training prior to the race.

I hope the information I've provided, and especially that in the article, will be of assistance to you. As mentioned earlier, if you have any questions about any of the Hammer products - especially the ones you may be currently using - please provide as much information as possible so that we can fine tune your supplement/fueling strategy.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby tva448 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Steve,

Thank you for the very informative reply. I will definately be implementing some of your ideas.

As far as what products I use, I pretty much use the entire gammut of Hammer products. However, at the race I was referencing in my last post, I was using sustained energy and heed mixed. I think I mixed it a little rich, resulting in me getting a quizy stomach half way into the race. I also cramped up the last couple of miles. Don't know why. Another issue that I tend to have; when I get done with a race or hard training route, I look like powdered sugar has been dumped on me. I am literally covered in salt. So, I'm figuring, I am getting to much sodium. Therefore, I may scale back my endurolytes.

Since then, in training, I have been trying two of hammers new products. The endurolyte feez and perpetuam chews. Both are freakin awesome. The feez tablets seem to settle my stomach and the perpetuam chews are handy, in that it free's up a bottle and they can be taken as needed.

Tomorrow is my next race. This is what I plan to take:
prior to:
4 days of race day boost
day of:
3-Race caps
3-Anti-fatig
3-Enduranc-amino

4-scoops heed
4-feez tablets
4-perpet chews
1-flask gel
HAMMER-On
Tim D.
tva448

Postby tva448 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:21 am

Stuck to my nutritional plan and improved my time by 13 minutes, with much worse conditions this race. It had rained all week and the trail was a muddy mess.

My next goal for the March race; cut my time an additional 20 minutes. Keeping my fingers crossed for better weather.

New product review:

With my most recent order I picked up one of the new Purist water bottles. So, during this race, since it was muddy, I thought I would try it along side one of my camelback Podium bottles.

During cold conditions I do like the Podium bottles, in that they do real well keeping liquids from freezing. But the nozzle on the new Hammer Purist bottles is far superior. With all of the mud in this race, drinking mud with every drink was one think I didn't have to worry about with the new bottles.

I'll be picking myself up a couple more with the next order.
HAMMER-On
Tim D.
tva448

Return to Endurance Forum