Forum

Pre-Strength Training Meal

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Pre-Strength Training Meal

Postby Daniel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:35 pm

I have had great success pushing my pre run meal back to 3 hours before my run, or skipping a meal and eating on the run...but I am curious what the needs would be for a strength training phase. Since glycogen stores aren't used up as rapidly as with endurance training, does pre w/o nutrient timing matter as much with strength training?
Daniel

Re: Pre-Strength Training Meal

Postby jason-keister » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Daniel,

In my humble opinion timing of meals before strength oriented workouts is not as important as it is before cardio-based workouts. With this said, you will still benefit during the workout by having maximum blood flow to working muscles, which digestion will inhibit. Keep this in mind and try to allow at least 2 hours before the workout, or adopt a similar routine to your runs by fueling during the workout. Due to the decreased stress on the digestive system you can fuel in larger amounts during a strength workout if necessary. If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby caredman » Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 pm

What about post-strength training? Is the Recoverite still appropriate?
caredman

Postby levi-hoch » Wed May 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Dear caredman,

Yes, Recoverite would still be appropriate following a strength training session. If you like, you can add a scoop of Hammer Whey to the Recoverite for some additional protein. I do this after my strength training sessions and feel it works well. Additionally, there are some supplements that will help with your recovery as well. As you probably know, the Daily Essentials supplements (Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, Premium Insurance Caps) are the most important supplements we sell and offer the widest range of benefits for general health and athletic performance. They can help with energy production both during the day and during your training, they all have recovery benefits due to the powerful antioxidant properties that each possesses, they help support the immune system, fill in the gaps where the diet may be lacking, support cellular health and longevity and much more. I recommend taking these after the workout with Recoverite. Also, consider taking our branch chain amino acid product - Endurance Amino containing the amino acids (basic building blocks of protein) used during exercise. This product can help with muscle recovery. I also suggest Xobaline, our vitamin B12 and Folic Acid supplement that helps with muscle recovery and red blood cell replenishment.

If you haven't read it yet, this article on recovery http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section has some great tips!

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby caredman » Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks Levi! One more question - how do you determine the serving size of Recoverite or Whey? Would one drink more or less depending upon the workout intensity/duration - or based on the person's size? Just trying to watch my calories as I have a wedding dress to fit into soon!
caredman

Postby levi-hoch » Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Hey caredman (please post your name in the future, thanks),

You could consult with the latest version of the Product Usage Manual http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... mpaign=pum or check the Recoverite product page http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... t=recovery and click on the "usage" tab to determine the ideal amount of product for your bodyweight. I generally will use a little more if I've done a really long strenuous exercise and less if I've done something relatively short. I'd keep it pretty close to the usage suggestions but feel free to adjust the usage a little based on what you're doing. Sometimes I'll take a little more protein with mine after a hard training session as well.

Congratulations on the wedding by the way!

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum