Forum

Soy-No bueno

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Soy-No bueno

Postby Daniel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Hey there.

I have been an enthusiastic and loyal Hammer user for years now. I love Recoverite and Hammer Gel. As primarily a cross country and short course runner, I have never had a time when I needed to use Perpetum or Sustained Energy, however, with my increasing interest and participation in Ultra events, I know I will benefit from a similar product.

My big issue is that my body does not do well with soy...at all.

Would it be sensible to make my own drink with a plain rice protein and Heed?
Daniel

Re: Soy-No bueno

Postby steve-born » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Hello Daniel -

Yes, whenever people have had soy allergies or issues with soy, but still want to make a Sustained Energy or Recoverite "substitute," I've more times than not suggested using HEED as the carbohydrate source, with rice protein as the protein source. There are a couple companies that make very good rice protein products. At least some of them should be found at a good health food store, though I've taken the liberty of providing links to these products from an internet store I've done business from (note that I have no affiliation with this company)...

Jarrow Formulas -
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.asp ... =2494&at=0

Nutribiotic - http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.asp ... =4815&at=0

Source Naturals -
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 93582&at=0

During prolonged exercise we believe that a 7:1 or 8:1 carb to protein ratio is ideal. So keep that in mind - in addition to the fact that HEED contains 26 grams of protein per serving - when you're making a Sustained Energy/Perpetuem "substitute" using one of these rice proteins.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Soy-No bueno

Postby steve-born » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Hello Michael -

To my understanding it is not fermented; however, it is heat treated during processing to insure inactivation of trypsin inhibitors. The soy protein isolate we use is processed with a water wash rather than an alcohol wash, which is commonly used when producing soy protein concentrate. This maintains the integrity of the naturally occurring isoflavones, vitamins and minerals, and other bioactive components. Soy protein isolate is 90% protein on a dry weight basis while soy protein concentrate, which must contain at least 65% protein on a moisture-free basis.

I hope this answers your question.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum