Forum

Will It Be Enough?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Will It Be Enough?

Postby midz76 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm currently training for my first 50 mile trail race in April. I have always used Hammer products in the past for my fueling needs and am asking for some guidance. My long runs are currently in the 4 hour range. Thus far I have fueled with hourly bottles of 2 scoops Heed and one scoop Sustained Energy. I'm 6'2 210 lbs thus shooting for 300-320 cals/hr. My question is, will this ratio continue providing my other fueling needs (i.e. protein) as I work towards the 12ish hours I will need to complete the 50? Thanks!

James in Illinois
midz76

Re: Will It Be Enough?

Postby steve-born » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Hello James -

Personally, I think that your fueling protocol - assuming you've tested it thoroughly in your training - will work fine. I do think that you will find that at least on some occasions you will not need the 307 calories that you're getting from two scoops of HEED (200 calories) and one scoop of Sustained Energy (107 calories)... you might find that on the occasional hour, a dose of one scoop of HEED (100 calories) = 1.5 scoops of Sustained Energy (about 160.5 calories) - giving you a total of 260.5 calories - will be quite sufficient. Plus, you'll be getting slightly more protein using this combination.

I would also highly recommend that you take Endurance Amino and Anti-Fatigue Caps hourly. Endurance Amino will provide the primary "used during exercise" amino acids, primarily the branched chain amino acids, which will help prevent muscle tissue breakdown. Anti-Fatigue Caps will help scavenge the excess ammonia that you'll be producing, thus helping delay fatigue.

I hope these suggestions help but if you need more assistance please let me know.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby midz76 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 am

Steve, Thanks for the input. I am using the Anti-fatigue caps as suggested and have been very pleased. I will give the Endurance Amino a shot also. Much appreciated.

James
midz76

Postby jwa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 am

Steve,
A related question. Does taking Endurance Amino compensate for a lower protein intake in the fuel? In other words, if I fuel primarily with Heed or a Heel/Perp/SE mix will E. Amino supply the missing protein from a lower protein content in the drink?

Jerry A
jwa

Postby steve-born » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

Hello Jerry -

That's a good question. In my opinion, Endurance Amino does not compensate completely for a lower protein intake, simply because it does not contain all of the amino acids found in a complete protein source (such as the soy protein in Sustained Energy and Perpetuem). That said, it does provide what I consider to be the three main "used during exercise" amino acids - the Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine - which provide a number of benefits prior to, during, and after exercise.

In addition, Endurance Amino contains the amino acid l-alanine, which the body can convert into glucose as needed for energy production. L-alanine also aids in the synthesis of pantothenic acid (B-5), which is also needed for protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism.

Lastly, Endurance Amino provides glutathione, which is classified as a tripeptide, consisting of the amino acids glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine. I consider glutathione to be the most important antioxidant there is, which is why I included it in the product.

So while Endurance Amino isn't a true substitute for a complete protein source, I believe it contains the key amino acids needed during prolonged exercise. As such, it will be your best option when going primarily with HEED during prolonged exercise, and will very nicely augment the other amino acids found in the Sustained Energy and/or Perpetuem components of a HEED/Sustained Energy combination or a HEED/Perpetuem combination. Several months ago one athlete emailed us and said that taking Endurance Amino with Perpetuem was like "super charging" Perpetuem.

I hope this info helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum