Forum

Mix Endurolyte and Hammer Gel???

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Mix Endurolyte and Hammer Gel???

Postby riddlejk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Can I mix Endurolyte and Hammer Gel, in proper proportions, for my upcoming running race. That way I have to only worry about carrying one bottle. Any concerns about settling or efficacy? Thanks
riddlejk

Re: Mix Endurolyte and Hammer Gel???

Postby steve-born » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 am

Hello riddljk (please post your first name so we know who you are!) -

Yes, you can mix Endurolytes and Hammer Gel together, though from my experience it can be a bit of a hassle. The reason I say that is because of the consistency of Hammer Gel, which doesn't really lend itself to allowing the Endurolytes powder/granules to mix completely. If you're using a Hammer Gel flask to carry your Hammer Gel in you can resolve this problem, at least to some degree, by adding a little water to it... that should allow the contents of Endurolytes to mix a bit more completely.

As convenient as mixing Endurolytes in a gel or drink mix is, there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1) Unlike the capsules, where you know precisely how much electrolytic mineral support you're getting on an hourly basis, when you put "X amount of Endurolytes (either the contents of the capsules or scoops of the Endurolytes Powder) you won't know how much, at least not as precisely as compared to the capsules, how much electrolyte volume you're getting with every sip of the gel or drink mixture.

2) Oftentimes not all of the minerals dissolve in solution (that's just the nature of the beast) so it either doesn't mix completely in the gel or you get some mineral sediment sitting at the bottom of the bottle.

3) When you put "X" amount of Endurolytes or Endurolytes Powder in your gel or drink mix (and this would be true with the new Endurolytes Fizz product as well), you've already put the ceiling, so to speak, on your hourly dose. What happens if that premixed dose is proving to be inadequate? You're kind of stuck!

Bottom line is that it is perfectly acceptable to mix the contents of Endurolytes capsules or scoops of Endurolytes powder into any of our fuels and doing so won't affect the efficacy of the product. Just keep the above-listed caveats in mind and, to be on the safe side, carry some extra Endurolytes capsules with you, just in case what you've premixed in your gel or drink mix is proving to be insufficient to meeting you electrolytic mineral needs.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but I hope you'll find this information to be helpful.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Mix Endurolyte and Hammer Gel???

Postby riddlejk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks Steve, Just what I was looking for. Jeff.
riddlejk

Return to Endurance Forum