Forum

Dead Legs-Need Help

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Dead Legs-Need Help

Postby jmaisano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:50 am

Dear Steve, Brian, and the Hammer Community

I hope everyone has had a great year of training/racing. This has been my first full year of using hammer products and utilizing the hammer training philosophies. It has been a successful year on all accounts. As I begin my winter training rides I have noticed that I am dealing with an issue of Dead Legs. I just cant seem to get my legs to feel like they have any energy left. They simply feel dead.

I continue to make recovery a priority after any ride, I have stuck to all the timing suggestion and supplemental strategies, yet I still have the tired sore feeling in them for a prolonged period of time.

During a ride I just don’t seem to have it in my legs to push further and several days after a ride they still feel tired. I do not seem to be dealing with a issue of sore legs just no strength or energy in them.

Can anyone provide me any suggestions on how to get my legs to start feeling fresh again.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Joe
Greensboro NC
jmaisano

Re: Dead Legs-Need Help

Postby steve-born » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Hello Joe -

I don't mean this reply to be simplistic, but it could just be a case of too much volume over too long a period of time and not enough rest. Especially now, if you've already had a long season of training and racing, it might be wise to take some time off... and I mean a couple of weeks of complete "I'm doing nothing." I found that this break in between training periods helped me "reboot" my system both physically and mentally.

After that, now may be a good time to do a little cross training and/or gym work, just to give yourself a break from the "same ol', same ol'." I know for me, because of where I live in Montana, I break out the cross country skis or snow shoes and get one heckuva workout via those two forms of exercise. I also try and get some weight work in at the gym on a regular basis.

Lastly, I would continue to take daily doses of a number of Hammer Nutrition supplements; the ones I suggest foremost are listed in my article "Off Season Supplement Suggestions (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .2925.html).

I wish I had a more concise "immediate results" formula that I could offer to you to help revive those dead legs but I think that if you will give the above-listed suggestions a try you may find that to be the best solution.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Dead Legs-Need Help

Postby ssrknordic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Joe,

Steve is right on the money! Rest is a critical factor, jsut takes time for your body to regenerate. I know from nordic skiing right after the World Champs most of the top skiers head to the islands to relax and recover for about 2 weeks. There is a cumulative toll on your body physiologically, neurologically and psychologically. I have seen many times with athletes they take the 2 weeks off then a month later they have a PR, as they are finally totally regenerated. As Steve said mixing in some new activity (strength training, cross-fit, etc is very beneficial) w/ cross training is very important and will help prevent over-use injuries in the long run(and makes you a better athlete in general.

Stuart

Stuart Kremzner, MS, CSCS
ssrknordic

Return to Endurance Forum